Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,595 Posts
I don't know if you already own a 4 wheeler or not, but if not, you can definately buy a good used tractor, disc & brushog for less money than a new 4 wheeler.

This summer, I sold quite a few things I had collected for years (some I really hated to part with) in order to buy a tractor & impliments. I had a $5000 budget. Thanks to this site & tobryan, I was able to purchase a 65 horse tractor for $3000. Paid $400 for a 14' disc, $400 for a 6' brushog, $300 for a 10' chisel plow & $300 for a 3pt broadcast spreader. Total $4400 for everything. Can't buy a new 4 wheeler for that.

I was at Loli Bros auction & could have bought several good tractors for $1500 or less.

If you've got a 500cc 4 wheeler or bigger, I've got an old 6' horsedrawn disc that I worked 8 acres with this spring before I bought my tractor. I'll probably sell it. It works great. Probably as well or better than most of those on that site.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you think my 20 horse riding mower would pull that disc?

The Crown dealer in Salisbury had a pull behind roller with big steel teeth that should work well behind a four wheeler. It should break the ground up fine for food plots. Might even be better in rocky ground than a disc. A 4X4, a chain, and a piece of chain link fence makes a drag to break up the surface and to bury seed. The roller was 3XX$

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Originally posted by runner
Do you think my 20 horse riding mower would pull that disc?

The Crown dealer in Salisbury had a pull behind roller with big steel teeth that should work well behind a four wheeler. It should break the ground up fine for food plots. Might even be better in rocky ground than a disc. A 4X4, a chain, and a piece of chain link fence makes a drag to break up the surface and to bury seed. The roller was 3XX$
runner,,,,your mower may pull the disc, but probably would'nt hold up well to that kind of load on an air cooled engine.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I need to go out and make a roller I guess, but I keep putting it off! I have the pipe I need. I would just have to make up spikes, drill holes, and do some welding. A spiked roller should not be much harder to pull than the mower deck is when you are cutting.
Out at the farm between Iberia and the lake, we had a set of power disks that could be used to break up just about anything and they pretty much pulled themselves along so they were not real hard to pull. Something like that in a smaller version would be great for foodplot work. A truck rear end with the tubes cut and one shortened axle could be driven with a lawnmower engine to turn the notched disks. Such a set up could be used just about anywhere since the tractor/mower/ATV does not have to pull it. All they have to do is control it.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Something like that would be the way to go. When you slow those air cooled engines down under a hard pull like that they run to hot and can do alot of damage.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just thought I might get out of having to make something. I am as lazy as I am able to be. Take half a land scape tie and nail a piece of chain link to the bottom side. Nail the other piece about 6 feet back and cut off the fencing. Makes a drag that will not kill a 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our uncle has a John Deere 4010 we probably could pull that disc with. You say it was horse drawn - do you think it could hook-up to the John Deere?

Originally posted by pinwheel
I don't know if you already own a 4 wheeler or not, but if not, you can definately buy a good used tractor, disc & brushog for less money than a new 4 wheeler.

This summer, I sold quite a few things I had collected for years (some I really hated to part with) in order to buy a tractor & impliments. I had a $5000 budget. Thanks to this site & tobryan, I was able to purchase a 65 horse tractor for $3000. Paid $400 for a 14' disc, $400 for a 6' brushog, $300 for a 10' chisel plow & $300 for a 3pt broadcast spreader. Total $4400 for everything. Can't buy a new 4 wheeler for that.

I was at Loli Bros auction & could have bought several good tractors for $1500 or less.

If you've got a 500cc 4 wheeler or bigger, I've got an old 6' horsedrawn disc that I worked 8 acres with this spring before I bought my tractor. I'll probably sell it. It works great. Probably as well or better than most of those on that site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.