Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just dozed about 4 acres of cedar to expand our current clover food plot. I am wanting to put in Wheat to hunt dove over, but not sure. Goal is to make it more attractive for the deer and turkey. Ideas on what to put in the plot now. Dozing was just done yesterday.

15,014 Posts
got this from the Buck wheat site
When planted to harvest as a grain crop, buckwheat is normally drilled at 40 to 55 pounds of pure live seed per acre in 6 or 7 inch rows. This rate should be doubled if the seed is broadcast. Buckwheat produces a mature seed crop in 9 to 12 weeks after planting,

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got this from the Buck wheat site
When planted to harvest as a grain crop, buckwheat is normally drilled at 40 to 55 pounds of pure live seed per acre in 6 or 7 inch rows. This rate should be doubled if the seed is broadcast. Buckwheat produces a mature seed crop in 9 to 12 weeks after planting,
Thanks for looking that up for me.

1,533 Posts
Planting a grain crop asap is what is best as suggested. If you have 4+ acres of planned area to food plot with buckwheat, I would mow certain sections down when needed and leave some up. Broadcast some turnips are annuals into the standing wheat and leave the wheat heads on for the turkeys and deer. 3 acres of mowed wheat will bring in a lot of dove.

· Registered
3,403 Posts
Where is the best place to get buckwheat at this time. I need enough for about 3-4 acres, how much will I need?
I buy mine from Missouri Southern Seed but you could have MFA get you some. I just use a bag per acre but I don't harvest it. I wait until it's mature and brush hog it down and it will come right back up and grow again. You can get several crops a summer out of it.

· Registered
516 Posts
Bull dozed ground ....and the PH is?? ...as in it is possible you may need several tons of lime per acre worked in ..which generally doesn't take full effect until the second year ..
Just think'in out loud ..bad PH gets lots of $$ and work thrown at it with more often than not disappointing results

Bear

· Quack
5,521 Posts
sunnhemp

15,014 Posts
How big is it now, since you added 4 acres to your clover plot?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.