Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,first of all i'm not putting any out this year i promised myself last year after it dried up in a dust bowl i was wait till the drought cleared out around here.i know it is alot of hard work,cost money,etc.but i see all these picture of everyones plots and they do look good and i'm sure the deer and turks tear them up.but how come i don't see any cages in the picture to show us how much the deer are using them.i see the guys on tv doing it and like those results they have.do you think maybe a couple of you guys could do it for us to show how much the deer are using them.please, pretty please.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
What chu talkin bout yote???????

Is this a cage where you send bad deer for a time out???????????:confused:

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Or are you simple sayin block off an area from the deary deer to show how much they have eaten.............I think I just answered my own:confused:

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Yea, I've never seen, nore heard of a food plot cage:pop::pop:

Is this where Jimmy Houston hunts?:cool:

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Nope Hazer.......that is where Jimmy Houston is headed!:behead:

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I had isolation cages in my plots last year but they were of poor construction and didn't do alot of good!
My clover is hating the heat for the last month or so, so it isn't looking the best. It will spring back and look awesome in the fall. If I think about it, I'll take a cage out and put it up next time I'm out there so it will be in place before the growth starts back up.
I didn't use them this year because I know they are using the plots, don't really need to see it. What it is guys is a simple little cage, made in a variety of different ways. Doesn't really matter how. The point is to isolate a spot in your food plot where deer can't eat inside the cage. That way you can see the amount of usage on your plot. For example...your clover in your plot may be a uniform 8 inches tall...but the clover in your isolation cage may be 15 inches tall because the deer can't get to it. Lets you know how much it's being used.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,778 Posts
Yote, I would, but I'm not sure it would do any good since I plant so much. I planted some soybeans a few weeks back & they are really starting to come in good, I might put a cage in there to see the results. I don't think we would see the results in my clover plots, but I'll try in one of the isolated areas.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
We used to use cages a few years back and they worked. They just kept getting in the way and we ended pulling them every year to spray, work, mow ...etc.
We walk on foot and check. We know have deer around and after a few years of throwing out the money we know what they like.
Last year with the acorns, I could have saved a ton of money and took another vacation instead of foodplots...

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Never used them before, always thought they would be in the way Im with Obryan on last years plots mine hardly got used with the acorns but the year before thye flattened them ate every grain. who knows what each year will bring
all I know is this year I have beans that will make 40 bu per acre and cron that would probably make 100 and I hope the
deer are hungry.
that brings up a question how much is to much I plant 12-13
acres of food plots and own 80 acres but ther are hundreds of acres around me that have nothing am I just spitting into the wind or doing some good. My hunting has been good
but I still see the same resident deer on my place that i normally see?

[file]7527[/file]

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
The bottom line rmr...are you holding on to the does on your place??
We all know during prerut and rut the bucks can move alot of miles...but eventually....have doe in heat......you will have buck in heat and in tow!!!

Keep feeding them there and pull em from all your neighbors!
what nice crops you have, if diesel and fertilizer werent so expensive Id say farming is for you...maybe it is!

·
Registered
250 Posts
here ya go yote, this is last years turnip and wheat patch. Never touched them all fall long. Looking for better results this year. Had I of put my tomato cages in my clover plots you would have definetly seen the difference, they hammered the clover and grazed it down to nothing within 3-4weeks. Like Hoytshooter said the clover this year (especially mine) is burnt up something terrible and I don't know if it's gonna come out of it or not before fall.I'm going to try and plant a variety of different crops this fall to see what they like best, and I'm going to try and put cages in all of them.

[file]7540[/file]

·
Registered
250 Posts
here's another one, I just hope the only reason they were'nt grazed down to nothing was b/c of the acorn crop we had last fall.

[file]7541[/file]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.