Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i would imagine if there was a bunch of snow on the ground, and it was freezin that they would form a line and take numbers

·
Under appreciated
88,095 Posts
We threw some flakes out in the snow last year after season and it was gone by the next day.
I dont imagine it was the ***** and possums.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
yes, definatley will, farmer i hunt on had a alfalfa hay bale set out for cows and deer had a trail out of woods straight to it

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
I am pretty sure they feed some alfalfa hay to the deer/elk at lone elk park.

·
Senior Hunter
3,305 Posts
Now why wouldn't feeding deer an alfalfa hay bail in the snow be the same as dumping corn on the ground. They are both planted and harvested crops. I realize they are planted for different uses but.... :confused: I'm not saying I'm for or against either one. :whiteflag: Doesn't seem much different to me. :stirpot:

·
Under appreciated
88,095 Posts
I'm pretty sure it would be considered baiting but we did it after the season.

dunno...

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Put a little molasses on it and they will knock you over running to it They LOVE it!!

·
Registered
42,107 Posts
Hay is NOT good for deer...

Deer rely on bacteria to "disolve" food... Cant produce it from hay...

Yes they will eat it and many have died w/ a full belly because they couldnt digest it very well..

Just a word of caution from da reb :wave:

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
It wouldn't be baiting if it was put out for cattle, as this is a normal ag practice. But if you don't have cattle, beware.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Originally posted by seth_turner_04
Alfalfa is crack for deer. :D
Yes but only when its growing. Deer can't digest it when mature or when baled and is dry. We could count close to two hundred deer in our alfalfa fields eating while it was growing and no bales touched after it was baled. They will eat it but only if other food is hard to get and it does them no good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts