Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Nicholas
The open end is where the round hard thingy comes out!
Oh no! Have you been taking lessons from Rebel and Grumpy?

BTW---it is their bolt rifles that i'm interested in. They supposably come standard with Hogue stocks so i'm thinking they must be of decent quality

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I love the way you are thinking DWB...you might want to visit www.snipershide.com....

Those boys take tactical rifles to a whole nother level.:sniper::sniper::sniper:

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Well, by the looks of the rifles and the rest of the website the company looks lke they're very high quality!

I don't see any prices though... so I would have to assume that they're pretty expensive.

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
What do you want to know? They've made rifles for years and years, making Mausers for the Belgian Army, and various South American countries, then for the Germans, when they took over Belgium, then for dangnear everyone else, and they made sporter rifles for anyone with the money, Sako, Browning, Sears Roebuck, name 'em, they made 'em for 'em. The current rifle being sold (boltgun) is built on the last of the Winchester 70 actions (FN owns the plant, and were the ones who shut them down). FN makes the M240 machinegun for the Army, along with the SAW, and some M16s, too. Not to mention Browning's rifles and shotguns, which are the ones collectors want so much......

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
To add to what Glenn said they also made barrels for Finland for their captured Russian Mosin Nagants. You name it and if a bullet goes in FN has made it has done so with quality.

Jack

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by glennasher1
What do you want to know? They've made rifles for years and years, making Mausers for the Belgian Army, and various South American countries, then for the Germans, when they took over Belgium, then for dangnear everyone else, and they made sporter rifles for anyone with the money, Sako, Browning, Sears Roebuck, name 'em, they made 'em for 'em. The current rifle being sold (boltgun) is built on the last of the Winchester 70 actions (FN owns the plant, and were the ones who shut them down). FN makes the M240 machinegun for the Army, along with the SAW, and some M16s, too. Not to mention Browning's rifles and shotguns, which are the ones collectors want so much......
Thanks Glen this is the kind of scoop I knew someone on here would have. I have a line on one of their bolt guns (new in box) complete with a hogue stock and chambered in .308 for $985. Does this sound like a good deal? Here is the link. I have actually been looking at a Remington 700 Varmiter in 308. This is a little cheaper, but is it as good of a rifle? oh ya, here is the link http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976740444.htm

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
I haven't seen one in awhile, but the last one I saw was about $750, though this was before they killed the M70s off. That new rifle is a M70 with FN and Hogue furniture. I don't know who's barrel they used, Winchester's or FNs, but they usually shoot pretty well. I sure wouldn't buy one for deer hunting, though, they are pretty heavy, WAY heavy, and are "tactical" rifles, whatever that means these days. The Hogue is a much cheaper stock than the HS Precision stock on the earlier PBRs, that, and the higher price, would make me run away from it, to tell the truth. I'd much rather have a nice sporting rifle for deer hunting. It's your money, but I wouldn't pay that for one. I love my M70, but I think they are currently overpriced, and wouldn't buy one now. I'd probably go with a CZ, or something similar (even a Ruger, and I don't like their barrels at all) for a hunting rifle. I don't see the need for a heavybarrelled rifle for deer hunting, for PD shooting, heck yes, but not deer hunting. The FN rifle is nice, for a military sniper or SWAT team sniper, but it really isn't a deer rifle.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glenn--thanks for the advice. I did not think about the price being over inflated because of the Winchester fall out. I'm looking for a shooter (not an investment).

As far as what I'm looking for. In one sentance-- The last North American big game rifle I ever have to buy, that I can also have fun with at the range shooting sub MOA groups at a good distance.

So for this purpose in the "moderate" price range (7-900) you would recomend the CZ?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I would recommend you ask me to bring something that can drop anything in North America on Mondays little outing! It is going to be a busy day!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Nicholas
I would recommend you ask me to bring something that can drop anything in North America on Mondays little outing! It is going to be a busy day!
I think I know where you are going Nicholas. And by all means bring it.

I just want to be careful of overkill. Something that is capable of taking down an elk yet won't be overkill on a whitetail. The two calibers I was waivering between were 7mm and 308. I'm leaning towards 308 for a number of reasons--including availability of ammunition.

Glen--What makes you sat that the hogue stocks are inferior? I have always heard they are a pretty good stock. Are the FM just that much better?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.