Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maryville, Mo. -
Charges are pending in Atchison County against two Florida men following their arrest on deer poaching charges Tuesday afternoon by Protection Division agents from the Missouri Department of Conservation. The agents were assisted by officers from the Maryville Department of Public Safety.

Holt County Conservation Agent Jade Wright said Thursday the men each posted $1,169 bond and waived formal indictment, a procedure that allows them to return to their home state. A spokesperson for the Atchison County Sheriff's Department said the waiver amounts to a guilty plea.

Following the filing of formal charges next week, and depending on disposition of the case in Circuit Court, Wright said it is likely the bonds will be forfeited in lieu of fines.
The arrests followed an MDC Operation Game Thief hotline call reporting suspicious hunting activity on private property along the Atchison/Holt county line near the intersection of Route Z and County Road 390.

Two agents responded to the scene and interviewed a witness who described the suspects as driving a silver-gray Chevrolet pickup truck with Florida tags. The agents found a large headless deer carcass in a nearby cornfield and the head of an eight-point buck along a nearby fencerow.
A second witness reported seeing a black Dodge pickup in the area, also with Florida tags. In addition, two more illegally taken deer were recovered from a roadside ditch northeast of Stanberry.

During their investigation the agents notified area law enforcement agencies, including Maryville Public Safety, which discovered both trucks in the parking lot of the Comfort Inn on the south end of the Business 71 strip, where the suspects were taken into custody.

Pending charges include exceeding the buck deer limit, two counts of failure to check deer, wanton waste and abandonment of deer carcasses and illegal transportation and possession of deer parts. A .270-caliber rifle, a pocket knife and three deer were seized by conservation authorities.

MDC urges anyone who has information regarding wildlife violations to call the Operation Game Thief toll-free hotline at (800) 392-1111.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Dang, they even took thier pocket knife!!!!:D:wave:

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Arethey gonna auction off that Chevy truck?:wave:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,915 Posts
Glad they caught them here in MO.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
:claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
[rquote=1495225&tid=104388&author=Trykon_Buck]MDC :claphands:[/rquote]

X2 :soapbox: I HATE POACHERS!!!!!!! :soapbox: Too bad they didn't take their truck too :mad2:

If only they could bust them all. I have three different students in my classes that said all of them were pulled over and checked to make sure they were legal, which all of them were. It is nice to see MDC is out there doing what they can to keep poachers out of the woods and off the roads.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
This was a much bigger deal in this part of the world than shown in that small article. People were talking about these guys from Florida quite a bit before they found them in Maryville.
This country up here is all small town and everyone notices things that don't belong. We don't have tourist traffic, everyone knows pretty much everyone, and they know who should be hunting on what farm.
What surprises me most is that it was turned over to the authorities, I thought it would be handled by the public initially.

Just for those that don't know the region, Maryville is roughly the center point between the Atchison/Holt county line and Stanberry.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,945 Posts
Bet those fellas don't go deer hunting in MOMO land again!!!

Kudos to MDC and the Maryville PD.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I m pretty sure i seen them guys on my county road a during opening weekend! I live in Osage County but the truck description matches perfect and it had Florida plates! I knew something was fishy about them driving 5 mph down my county road with Florida plates.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Contact the MDC and tell them you saw them...

Anyone know what the fine is for killing a deer illegally?

[rquote=1495407&tid=104388&author=mathewsshooter89]I m pretty sure i seen them guys on my county road a during opening weekend! I live in Osage County but the truck description matches perfect and it had Florida plates! I knew something was fishy about them driving 5 mph down my county road with Florida plates. [/rquote]

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
The arrests followed an MDC Operation Game Thief hotline call reporting suspicious hunting activity on private property along the Atchison/Holt county line near the intersection of Route Z and County Road 390.

my brother in law is the guy that reported them and helped in the arrest. this was also proptery that is owend by the same people as two of my best hunting spots.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts