Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in four years there is actual creek flooding way up stream .Trying to go to the farm a hour ago on HIGHWAY 11 East of Kirksville i found the water was just about off the road at Steer creek. I found to much water over the road at Floyd creek and turned around. I will try again in a bit.I suspect the salt river and the Fabies are also out but the water drops quickly way up here. Looking at those feeder ditches which try smaller acreage i can see we got dumped on last night. Looks like a situation that is what bad weather is to turkey nesting.
So ARE THE HENS STILL SITING ON THE NESTS ? Is it possible for turkey production to get any worse because of bad weather then it has been the last three years in great weather ?
This will test the law of Eggular theory. The past three nesting seasons have seen the storms breakup come nighttime but this week we have been getting those old fashioned dumping rains. EGGS WILL BE DESTROYED THE OLD FASHIONED WAY.
Eggular theory states that occurring to the historical evidence the reason for h to p ratios of .8,.8, and 1.1 is because of the rise in egg sucker density.
The test is coming and i bet that where Mr. Chief Egg Sucker HAS BEEN BROUGHT UNDER POPULATION DENSITY CONTROL THOSE AREAS WILL AGAIN HAVE BETTER TURKEY PRODUCTION THEN THOSE AREAS WHERE HE IS STILL WAY OUT OF CONTROL.
Every egg matters, every nest matters.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Bump for your daily dose of crazy

Reactions: Hawk and wingman

· Registered
8,049 Posts

15,014 Posts
waa waa waa, so ya got a little rain and now the world is falling. Welcome to the the rest of the state and states to the north and west....

· Banned
81,617 Posts
One of the guys we hunt on in kansas has been working at tuttle creek backfilling the new spillway walls . They were hired in as as part of an emergency plan to get the spillway work done enough to start letting the lake down. The blue river has been rolling almost bank full the whole time we have been out here.

15,014 Posts
But have you kilt any turkey's?

I heard at Milford that they have the gates open to let as much water out that is coming in. My buddy is putting his boat in from a black top road 5 miles north of the causeway and catching Blue's up river from that.
They had the gates open at Kanopolis but with this last rain, it along with the rain run-off, was causing levee breaches by Abilene, so they shut the gates down for now
To Hazzevillebucks comment, when I first moved out to St. Charles, when going out to Lake 370, I would always see deer and turkeys to the north of the lake, then 3 years in a row of spring/summer flooding I do not see anything. Nesting areas constantly flooded does not make good for any wild life. Even the elevated deer stands/blinds have fallen down.

Reactions: Beards-n-Spurs

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I killed a nice gobbler this morning. I only had one tag left so now im im scouting for the other guy on the hunt.

Above normal rainfall has the cover out here growing a little ahead of schedule. Finding areas the turkeys will use is the key. They have not gobbled as good as they usually do this time of year either. Crappy weather suppressing it I suppose.

Reactions: Dafish
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.