Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather finally cooperated yesterday and a couple of friends had the day off so we made a plan to head offshore and try our hand at deep dropping for golden tile fish. None of us had ever done it. My friend Mike and I both have electric reels that are used when fishing that deep. If you were hand cranking you would be done after about two drops. We were fishing 900+ feet deep.

We stopped just outside the pass and spent about a half hour catching some live baits then locked in the numbers and set the auto pilot for the 57 mile run to the spot we wanted to fish. A friend had told me to go south of the pipeline to 900' depth and look for blue fuzz on the bottom. The run out was just a little bumpy but we were able to run 38 mph or so and arrived after about an hour and 45 minute ride.
We decided to try our first drop right there so baited up and dropped them down. We used a 3# weight and a five hook rig. The drop lines off the main line have a glow in the dark crimp protector and you attach a light at the top of the dropper rig. It's dark at 900'! We were in 840 ft of water and drifter for about 20 minutes with no action. I looked at the plotter and saw that we only needed to move about a mile to get to 900 so we reeled up and made the move.

Immediately when reaching 900' I saw the "blue fuzz" my friend was talking about. We dropped down again and got bit almost immediately. Up came our first golden tile!! It takes about five minutes for the electric reel to pull in that much line, more time if the fish is fighting hard. We dropped down again and in just a few minutes after hitting bottom we were tight on another fish. Another golden tile! We dropped again and waited. I was watching the bottom machine and we had drifted out of the the "blue fuzz". We finally got another bite and reeled up a deep water shark.

We moved around and found the "blue fuzz" again and started catching tile fish again. We played with our positioning and driving the boat to control the drift and the golden tiles started coming over the side. We figured out how to see the bite, because with 900' of line out, it's really subtle. We figured out how to hook up on the fish by using the reel handle to get them hooked then engage the motor to wind them up.

After pulling up 9 golden tiles and six sharks we decided to call the trip a success and head home. The seas had laid down to almost slick and we ran 45 mph all the way home. It is such a satisfying feeling to set out to do something and come home successful! This is something that I can add to my charter offerings for people who want something different. I will post pics in the comments from my phone.

· Registered
13,104 Posts
I just looked them up as far as table fare and multiple articles said there is not better tasting fish. That's a pretty strong endorsement!

2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Their innards rupture from coming up from so deep ? Strange looking feesh
What you see is their swim bladder expanded out of their mouth. Grouper and snapper do this sometimes from just 100 ft depth. You take a very pointed knife or a venting tool and go under a scale behind their pectoral fin and insert until you hear the air release. You have to get most of it out for them to be able to swim back down if releasing them. If you don't vent them they float and die. We vented and released the biggest snapper I have ever caught last year a week before season.

· Registered
20,366 Posts
What you see is their swim bladder expanded out of their mouth. Grouper and snapper do this sometimes from just 100 ft depth. You take a very pointed knife or a venting tool and go under a scale behind their pectoral fin and insert until you hear the air release. You have to get most of it out for them to be able to swim back down if releasing them. If you don't vent them they float and die. We vented and released the biggest snapper I have ever caught last year a week before season.
So if you "vent" them they will live to be caught another day? Never knew that.... appreciate the knowledge..

· Registered
3,681 Posts
It bulges the eyes out also.

Boog,you see the guy that slipped of the boat fighting the tarpon and was attacked by a bull shark..had to be airlifted?

Hope your leg is healing,another guy got that flesh eating bacteria from a small cut while fishing.

Its a rough world out there!

2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So if you "vent" them they will live to be caught another day? Never knew that.... appreciate the knowledge..
Yes, there are videos on youtube on how to do it. You can also use a descender device that used a heavy weight to take them back to the bottom and after a minute the bladder corrects and they swim off the device.

2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It bulges the eyes out also.

Boog,you see the guy that slipped of the boat fighting the tarpon and was attacked by a bull shark..had to be airlifted?

Hope your leg is healing,another guy got that flesh eating bacteria from a small cut while fishing.

Its a rough world out there!
My leg finally completely healed about January, eight months after it happened. I had staph infection and had to do two rounds of antibiotics and lots of antibiotic cream. I still fished after the infection was gone but kept it covered with a big band aid. I should have bought stock in band aid!! I didn't see the news about the guy getting attacked by the bull shark. I did see a guy in Louisiana that got poked with a hook and almost lost his arm to that flesh eating crap. They saved it but man it looked gross! I now carry a bunch of anti bacterial stuff on the boat so any cut or poke gets rinsed immediately.

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Almost lost my leg in 2004. Little scrape like yours Boog, same spot on left leg. I did not think much of it 6 days later my leg was the size of a watermelon. Got dropped off on the beach and took a bush plane into town. Hit the clinic and they shipped me out, ended up on an IV drip and 3 days in the Hospital. 10 days later I was back on the boat. Luckily I had a guy that could drive for me while I was gone. Good season overall, There is some nasty stuff on the water. I carry everything now including antibiotics and Narcs. Your license should allow you to get an emergency pack of meds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.