Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give everyone a safety briefing before we leave the dock and part of that is that saltwater fish are kind of dangerous. Everything out here gets eaten by something else so they all have defenses like sharp teeth, razor edge Gill rakers, and needle like spines that stick out of their fins. When fishing with bandit and the guys the other day we boated one of those big snappers over 15 pounds and it started flopping. I didn't get out of the way fast enough and it raked my leg with its dorsal fin. Good thing I still had antibiotic ointment from my leg injury last year. I don't need another staph infection!
Joint Skin Hand Arm Shoulder

· Banned
24,478 Posts

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Ouch. With luck like that , don't go to Australia where the butterflies are venomous. :D

· Really? Show me. .
3,483 Posts

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I thought everyone had heard that old expression.

2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what rubbing some dirt on it gets you in saltwater. I cut my leg pretty bad just minutes before a trip last year, I went ahead and ran the trip. I sprayed it off with freshwater but didn't have anything to clean it out with until I got home. Result was staph infection that kept me off the water for almost six weeks, two rounds of antibiotics, and it took six months for wound to heal completely. I don't mess around with that anymore! I immediately cleaned this one with an alcohol wipe and washed it out with antibacterial soap and put antibiotic cream on it!
Joint Head Hand Arm Leg
Joint Skin Tableware Human body Gesture
Plant Gesture Foot Thigh Human leg

· King of Callaway
43,378 Posts
Ya after that, I'd have a good first aid kit setting out, never thought about the fact that every part of the fish you catch are dangerous.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
This is what rubbing some dirt on it gets you in saltwater. I cut my leg pretty bad just minutes before a trip last year, I went ahead and ran the trip. I sprayed it off with freshwater but didn't have anything to clean it out with until I got home. Result was staph infection that kept me off the water for almost six weeks, two rounds of antibiotics, and it took six months for wound to heal completely. I don't mess around with that anymore! I immediately cleaned this one with an alcohol wipe and washed it out with antibacterial soap and put antibiotic cream on it! View attachment 131671 View attachment 131673 View attachment 131675
Let me add this to the list of reasons I don't care for Florida. :eek:

Reactions: robbie
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.