Fish Finder Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Gear & Tackle' started by DustinK, Dec 26, 2017.

1. DustinK

DustinK Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Webb City, Mo
    I'm in the market for a down imaging fish finder to go on my Classic accessories inflatable pontoon and I'm brand new to fish finders. I have decided on the Humminbird Helix 5.

My question is, do I need the GPS? I only fish small lakes of 25 acres or less and strip pits. I obviously don't need a GPS to find my way but can I mark waypoints such as brush piles and structure if the unit doesn't have the GPS?

My main reason for getting this is to locate schooling crappie in some of the deep pits I fish and marking structure when I find it so I can go back to it later.

Thanks for the help.

Dustin

2. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    You will need the gps to mark any spots.

3. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    You will like the Helix 5. You will need the GPS to mark way points.

4. RRMan

RRMan Active Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Savannah MO
    I have a helix 5 and love it, definitely not the fanciest thing out there but is way better than my old outdated stuff. GPS is a must for new stuff when I find it

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I have the Helix 5 also and it even tells me how fast I'm going in search of the next fishless spot at Truman Lake. There is no way I can learn all the stuff this unit can do. I'm pretty simple minded when it comes to fish finders.

6. h_callahan

h_callahan Senior Member

Nov 14, 2008
    warren county
    I got the helix 5 on my boat and it is a serviceable unit for the price range. Its a very popular unit for a reason. You will be happy with it

7. Gakic24

Gakic24 Well-Known Member

Spend the money on a good graph and get a cheap hand held to mark your spots.

8. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    I broke down and bought two Helix units for my new boat this spring ... several times I found myself pittering around in circles pressing buttons just to see what they would do ...spent hours just goofing instead of fishing but sometimes it was almost as entertaining as fishing ! Cost per fish is up to about $200 bucks and ounce now

truehunter and Mailman like this.
  9. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    All I ask of my Helix 5 is to tell me how deep the water is, temp and how many fish are under da boat....and tell me beforehand when I'm about to run up on the mud flat at KK Island. :cool: What ever else it does...no idea cause I'm busy fishing.

10. DustinK

DustinK Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Webb City, Mo
    Thanks for all the replies. Next question, is it worth the extra $100 bucks to also get the side imaging? Keep in mind I mainly fish small lakes and long, deep strip pits out of an inflatable pontoon

11. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    Yes.