first time out - two rookies :)

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by bigredhusker, Apr 24, 2006.

1. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    Went out this morning with a buddy of mine. We are both rookies (got up at 5:00 and headed to the blind by 5:30.. got to the blind by 5:50). Heard several gobbles to the north of us and really never got to close. Gobbling quit so at about 8:30 we moved to a new location. Scared one up, then moved to another, scared another up, then moved to a final spot and called and didn't hear anything - so quit by 10:00. We had a great time... saw some deer and heard a few gobblers.. (4-6 different ones)... some questions...

When we got to the blind we tended to call and keep calling.. what pattern have you found that works for you?

Should we of left the blind earlier and moved on foot closer to the north?

The area we were hunting in is VERY wooded. with ATV trails.. I also have some alfalfa growing on another part.. may try it the this weekend.

Haven't seen the birds strutting or anything prior to the season so I keep guessing where to go on the 80 acres I hunt.

Anyway - any tips would be appreciated... Had a blast even though we didn't get any birds.. seeing the two we spooked and hearing all the gobbles certainly gave us the fever..

Thanks in advance for all the tips.. :0

2. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003

if it were me (that sentence alone should tell you not to do it) i would try to get within a couple hundred yards of a roosted bird and work him if you do not know what the birds are doing in the area. You might not get him the first or second day but if you can see or hear what he is doing and where he is going the third or forth day could be different. keep at it, what you and your friend are going through now is half the fun.

3. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Sounds like you may be moving a little too fast and/or soon if you keep bumping birds. I always try to wait 30-45 minutes after I stop calling before I get up to move in case there is a tom coming in silent. I usually try to use a locator call every 50-100yds when I am moving to hopefully make a tom sound off before I walk up on him. ALWAYS hit your locator befoe you round a corner on a road or top a hill. Early in the season, like this year's youth hunt, I will call agressively and try to sound like a lot of hens because the birds are usually henned up pretty bad. During this first week of the season, the hens have separated and are laying. Somtimes the tom will have a hen with them at daybreak but she will slip off around 9 or 10. That is the best time of the day IMO right now. Right now, you kind of have to take the tom's temperature. You have to be able to read him and tell if he will respond to agressive calling or more passive calling. If he answers you every time and cuts you off a lot of the time, then you can be a little more agressive with him but if he is a lot more laid back, agressive calling will hang him up every time. When in doubt, less is usually better. Hope I helped some. Good luck!

4. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    I have an owl and crow locator. I guess I'll give them a try.. thanks for the TIPs..

5. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    This calling scenario worked very well for me last year.
    I started doing soft tree yelps after I heard the first gobble or when the sun was just coming up. After a few minutes of soft calling I went to a fly down kackle while using my hat as wings. I take my hat and flap it across my arm to simulate wing flapping. Then I continue to do a few yelps. Then I just wait a bit. After a few minutes I will start yelping again and lead into some aggresive calling like cutting. After a few minute I again wait a little while before starting up again. If a Tom comes in I start calling really aggressive with mostly all cutting. If a hen is responding, cut her off before she ends her string of calling. Hopefully she will take it as a challange and come looking for the hen that is aggravating her. If she is with a Tom he should follow her in.
    Good luck!!!!

6. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Stay after them fella's..........

7. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I like everything Bowpredator had to say. Owl hooter early morning and then the crow call during the day. Patience is the key. Use the terrian to your advantage and like BP said don't top a hill or round a corner too fast.

Jack