Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have probably seen them around, but I had a badger cross the road in front of me yesterday. I knew we had them but had never seen one in real life before. This one was about the size of a ****, but had shorter legs. I hear you don't want to mess with them.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Had a dead one down the road from my place two years ago. The only live ones I ever saw was about 12 years ago. Mother and two little ones on the bank of the Wisconsin River during a spring fishing trip.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The one I saw was causing quite a rukus in my dads barn when we were trying to get some cattle in the barn. It was dark in the barn, the cattle kept heading into the stall, then would turn around at the entrance gate and bolt back into the main haul. After 3 or 4 attempts at this, and something obviously in the stall, dad looked in, saw a dead critter on the ground(that he thought was a skunk in the dark stall) hurridly picked it up and slung it through a window then right back to gettting the calves in the stall. When I saw it fly thru the air, I asked him what it was, and as my dad typically was when we were working cattle, not of the mind to visit or chat, he just grumbled a skunk, lol, but it sure didn't look like a skunk to me as it went flying through the air and out the window. As soon as we had the calves secured in the stall, I couldn't resist, I had to run outside to get a better look at this critter. Out in the daylight I could see it well now, but it really had me perplexed for the first few seconds. At first I was thinking it was an oddly marked skunk, but after a few more seconds I realized this was no skunk. Admittedly, I had no clue we had badgers in the state, ignorant I guess. Finally I called dad outside to look at it (still in his work mode) he barely looked and just grumbled Ohhh It's A Skunk!! I told him this is no skunk, so he came over to take a closer look. Much to his surprise, he said that's a badger.

We really thought we had something, because we were both unaware we had them in MO. It was a Saturday afternoon, and I eventually got in touch with the local game warden who quickly confirmed though somewhat rare, that yes we did have badgers in Mo. Kinda blew our excitement level a bit. But I took some pics and video. I'm gonna say this was around 1992/93 in Wright Co near Norwood.

Upon close examination of the animal, these badgers must be some bad dudes. Their teeth and claws are fearsome. I still have some fairly major scars on my right hand from a **** balling up on my hand when I was in high school, but I can tell you without question, that badger makes a **** look like a teddy bear! In fact I've heard it said for many years that a woolverine is the meanest and toughest critter in north america, I would assume that a badger would be in the running for the top 2 or 3 position.

Needless to say, if you ever run across a live one, I wouldn't suggest scratching him between the ears. lol

·
Super Moderator
7,809 Posts
First and only time I saw one was at night while driving the mustang. I strattled it with the wheels, and that durn thing must have forgot to duck. Made a heck of a bang. That was probably five years ago.

·
6,643 Posts
They definitely aren't rare at our place. I kill a couple a year. Last one I killed was 67 lbs. They can get pretty big. They smell worse than skunks too. But would make a great mount if you could stand the smell long enough to get it to the taxidermist. Maybe in the attack pose??

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
I was face-to-face with one a couple weeks ago in a pasture. He was kind of like a teddy bear. Maybe a grizzly teddy bear. I could of plugged him with my .357, but since he didn't threaten me, nor was he in season, I let him walk.

·
Registered
42,104 Posts
Originally posted by spm26191
You guys have probably seen them around, but I had a badger cross the road in front of me yesterday. I knew we had them but had never seen one in real life before. This one was about the size of a ****, but had shorter legs. I hear you don't want to mess with them.
Yeah i hear you dont wanna let em get in your house with no espace route in site... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.