First things first

Discussion in 'Fishing With a Disability' started by Big John, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Big John

Big John Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Mrb thank you for the "Fishing With a Disability" section! I am thinking about starting a kids with disabilities fishing trip but, I have no idea how to get it started. We have a "free fishing weekend" June 28-29 I believe and I want to do it then soooooo any help I can would be great appreciated.
  2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Big John, check with your local Conservation Agent....Mo's Dept. of Cons. has fishing equipment, just for an event like yours! Then, all ya gotta do is find the kids and some water!!!:cheers:

3. Big John

Big John Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Thank You! I will do that.
  4. DWD

DWD New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Picked up several fishin poles at garage sales rather cheap that worked just fine. Might also talk to the scouts in your area, they may be willing to help with your endeavor to earn some of their badges, and they might have some poles to loan. You looking at a bank or boat event? Biggest problem we ran into was finding a accessible place where they could catch some fish, private landowners with well stocked ponds helped a lot. Another avenue might be a local fishing club, the optimists or other community groups.

5. Big John

Big John Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Thank You for the help! I am thinking of getting a couple of other boats and lake fishing, I have 3 lakes within 30 miles of me and there are numerous boat access sites with plenty of perch, sunfish and bass available. I could do a shore fish on the Susquehanna river about 1/4 mile away but, there is a catfish derby that weekend and getting to the water is tough at best.