First tag filled

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Boartuff, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Boartuff

Boartuff New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Gasconade County
    After it had rained since Friday evening, the wknd turkey hunting was starting to look as though it wouldn't happen for me.

Got up at 4:30 this morning, rain stopped, but the wind was terrible! Back to bed I went till 8 AM. Got up and had a leisure breakfast and checked my email.

The time was approaching 10 AM, and I figgered I'd go ahead and see what might happen. Got to my first set-up spot, put the dekes out and called sparingly for about 30 minutes. No action.

Picked up and moved a couple hundred yds up the ridge. Called for another 30 minutes, only to have a hawk light in a tree above me, screaming its head off. I wanted to blow it off with some number 4's!!

I only had a couple hundred yds to go, and I would be at the end of my property. Arrived there, and found a makeshift blind I had put out last spring, made of green canvas and old aluminum arrows. Just above it was an oak tree that must have blown down over the wknd during the storms. So I placed my little blind in front of the blow down, and set out 2 decoys less than 20 yds in front of me.

About every 10 minutes, I'd rap on the box call fairly loud, hoping to break thru the wind, and get the attention of a lonely bird. Maybe 30 minutes had passed since I sat down, and I let out another series of calls. Before I was actually done striking the box call, I peared over my blind to see 3 birds looking curiously in my direction.

I had to laugh, cause no doubt they saw my decoys as they were only 10 feet away from them, and here I am calling still.

After a bit of letting them get seperated enough so not to shoot more than one, I picked out what appeared to be the biggest of the trio.

Bang, flop! I had my turkey. The other two just wandered around not knowing what had happened. Eventually they left.

This is a pretty special bird, as it is the first I have gotten on this property I bought a year ago. He only had a 6" beard, but weighed 20 lb.

[​IMG]

2. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Congrats, nice bird.:dancin:

3. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    way to go
    funny how things work out some times