First hunt of the year was a good one

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by buxNdux, Nov 13, 2010.

1. buxNdux

buxNdux New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    KC
    Here it is opening day of rifle season and I'm getting more excited about duck season...what can I say, I've always been a puddle pirate at heart :D

Made it out for the first hunt of the year yesterday morning...it was both my wife's and our 13 month old pup's first hunt. Rain was coming down hard when we arrived at the farm but let up to a light rain by the time we hopped on the atv for the ride to the blind. It was just one of those "ducky" days from the get-go.

Long story short....got set up and watched woodies funnel into one of our timber holes a couple hundred yards away starting at first light. Had a lone gaddie come in and land just outside the decoys. Normally don't shoot them but we hadn't seen any mallards yet and really wanted to get riley his first retrieve. He was getting antsy in the blind...I had meant to do some training with him in the dog box earlier this year but never got around to it...needless to say he had no idea why we were sitting in the blind. Dropped the gaddie and his first retrieve was in the books...he actually settled down a lot after that, almost as if he now knew why we had to wait patiently in the blind.

In short, the rest of the morning consisted of mallards maple leafing from up high trying to drop into the timber hole full of woodies. I would normally walk over there and spook the "live decoys" away but they actually worked to our advantage grabbing the attention of high flying ducks. I was able to entice them to our spread as they made their swing on the timber.

My shooting was definitely a rusty, okay a lot rusty, but still managed to limit out by 8:15 and we got out of there right before the skies opened back up...actually got soaked on the way back to the truck. It was a memorable hunt and one I will always remember. A south wind had the ducks working out in front of us and jenny got to see some great action her first time in the duck blind. I was happy with riley on his first hunt. he's got a ways to go yet but training can only take them so far...i think by the end of the year he'll evolve into a great duck dog if I can keep getting him into birds.

Couldn't make it out today but gave my pops the report and he is taking a couple buddies to the timber hole today. Hoping for a good report and gonna try to make it back out tomorrow. Nothing beats a good timber hunt!

Will try to get a few pics uploaded when I get them on the computer.

:cheers:

2. buxNdux

buxNdux New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    KC
    dad and a couple buddies shot 15 yesterday in the timber...9 mallards, 3 woodies, 3 teal.

four of us went today and split up between timber and the marsh. literally had wood ducks by the dozens fluttering above our heads in the timber as we were finishing up putting out decoys. about 10 or so hit the water while we were still in the decoys. didn't see much for mallards today but we scratched 5 drake woodies in the timber and our other half got 5 greenheads and a gaddie in the field.

was in a hurry to get back home today so didn't get any pictures. i'll get some pics uploaded from friday's hunt when i get them on the computer.

:cheers:

3. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors