First Gobble for 2006

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Mailman, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I heard my first gobble this morning while I was out shed hunting. One gobble and that was it. It was 24 degrees at the time. I think this guy is rushing things just a bit. No.....I didn't find any sheds.

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    :eek: Yep, he's getting the fever just a little soon.

3. :banghead::banghead:Its gonna start way to early this year im afraid.

chad

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Rocko you got that right... they gonna be all done by march...

5. Maybe too early maybe not? I was hearing some gobbling back in December already so you probably can't go by that. Maybe they will have alot of the hens bred and be more receptive to calling. I would rather be hunting a little later than when they are in the thick of the breeding and all henned up.

6. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    In the southwestern part of the state, when season opens they been in the thick of it w/ hens the last 5 or so years.. practically every gobbler ive shot and seen for that matter, has been with hens...

Season either needs to be sooner, or even later, for the southwestern part of the state..

but i agree with what your saying always.. i listened to em gobble all morning when was duck hunting at schell in november..

7. OA3D

OA3D New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Otterville
    I've heard them the most the last week of Archery season, morning and night.
    I still haven't seen anything that resembles co-ed activities yet.

8. PFR

PFR New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Later......no man no! My gosh we would be hunting them in June. From my experience it is basically over by the time the season gets here in the sense that all the hens are sitting and the gobblers have already lost interest in breeding and they are already in their fall bachelor groups. Personally I have had a lot better luck and there is alot more action when there is still hens running around wanting to be bred. Once, the hens are gone the gobblers lose interest and go into fall patterns within a couple of days.

Not to mention, It is already too hot, too buggy and too thick by the end of April/first of May to make a real enjoyable hunt. Give me frosty mornings, 60 degree days, redbuds and service berries blooming and the timber just getting to that silver-green stage. That is the time we need to be turkey hunting.

As far as gobbling they gobble year round. It just doesn't have anything to do with breeding until spring time. And the way it has been in recent years, that gobbling has been getting revved up about mid-Feb. Personally with as "extra" late as the season is this year, I hope this little spell of semi-winter lasts until about the first of April so there is even a slim chance of them having interest in breeding by that time. I'll have to say, couple that with the fact that I have NEVER seen (and the numbers have been steadily going downhill for years) this few turkeys, I don't expect a whole h*ll of alot for the mighty MO season this year.......at least in the regions I hunt.

9. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I second your motion PFR.