FIRST CWD POSATIVE

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by hazelvillebucks, Dec 5, 2017.

1. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    The first positive for this season is in the books. My information was vague but the mdc site now shows one positive . St Clair county is the place.

wiser1 likes this.
  2. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Well, that's two in two years there. Was hoping last year was a fluke.

3. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    Are you posative about that?

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

2 or 3. Wasn't there 2 found there last year ?

5. manitou1

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    I believe you are correct.
    The big question is: 1) Since it appears CWD is "jumping" counties, are folks dumping infected deer in their counties from CWD counties? ( We all know the answer to this as a large number of "sportsman" barely take the time to educate themselves on regs and environmental/biology issues) Or 2) Are non-CWD counties in-fact CWD counties and MDC just hasn't tested enough to beat the odds and have a "hot positive" in those counties? ( The other sportsmen not mention in question #1 probably know the answer to this one )

WBF and TFWarrior like this.
  6. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    My guess would be that infected deer probably urinated, defecated, and ate grass in hay field. Said hay was baled and sold to some poor unsuspecting farmer. Said farmer fed infected hay to cattle and rain washed contaminants onto virgin grass and when deer fed on new contaminated grass.....viola the CWD was transferred.

90acres likes this.
  7. henry

I think the most realistic answer is that it is more widespread in penned deer than a suspect voluntary testing program can weed out. There is no doubt in my mind that there have been people release penned deer into the wild in hopes of improving local genetics. That coupled with escapes and very low testing rates in some surrounding states mean St Clair county isn't an unlikely candidate for a positive to show up.

When large deer breeders like the one in Iowa and the one in Ohio that have been producing deer for years get caught with positives , you know it's being shipped all over the country.

8. hazelvillebucks

Oct 28, 2014
    The model[shortcut] has shown itself in Arkansas to not work. The question of dumping carcasses is only another of the targets on the old barn dressed up to look like a response.
    What can be seen is that even in pens where the deer eat out of the same trough get there minerals from the same place. Where the deer are dependent upon man for all of there needs and where they are in concentrations of 30 to 60 a acre not 30 to 60 per square mile cwd does not spread like wildfire.
    What we are supposed to have is a well funded conservation department set up outside the perils of politics whose job is to look out for our great natural resources.A model for the nation where the resources are managed by scientific methodology.
    Unless you believe deceiving the public is in fact a science we have a department that is doing nothing hoping someone else finds the solution.
    Seven years and all we can do is pit neighbor against neighbor thru a system of seals . Extermination by the nicer word of selective culling .
    The clock is ticking and we are yet to come up with a plan for our knights to be part of a solution .We have to collect the data , the evidence. We have to find the normal to find the abnormal .
    Fifty years and all the ivory towers sing in harmony it ,s the prion,s.So you ask what is a prion. The answer with a rolling motion of the hands a mis shaped protein cell.Where is a protein cell produced? no answer.
    We hear a prion cell stays in the environment but it is only a protein cell.Apparently we are being told that the world is only protein cells.
    The scientific facts are that a animal digests food and in the digestive system the raw food is broken down into the forms that nourish and build the different parts of the body.In the case of cwd something is changing the protein cells that nourish and build the nervous system.The defective protein cells [prions ] are not compatible with the function intended.
    The answer is not the result of this [prions] it is finding what is causing the prions.Protein cells are produced in the digestive system not the nervous system. TO BRING SCIENCE INTO THE MESS you have to examine the problem where it occurs . MICROBES are at the beginning of all biological systems.In the process of breaking raw food down into the forms the body can use they are the heavy lifters. The elk being brought in are using a live test to detect Cwd. Yes, the presence of something abnormal coming out of the digestive tract should be able to indicate cwd.
    It has been seven years since cwd escaped the pens at Heartland and we still do not have a plan of action based upon the scientific collection of the evidence.That is no model for the nation.
    On another front . The black walnut tree was introduced out west where it has found a threat to it that could destroy it like is happening to the ash trees. So far it has moved into several other states and is heading our way.Will our response be to spend millions of dollars on adds not to move firewood or are we going to fulfill the promise of design for conservation.
    I went to ground zero cwd in Thayer Arkansas. The first thing i saw when i got out of the truck was a sign warning of falling limbs from the dead red oak trees. It appears that a bug from somewhere in the world has made its way here without its natural controls . The question might be is this bug present in all cases where cwd appears.
    The answer to the problem is in design for conservation. WE HAVE TO COLLECT THE EVIDENCE THEN TRACE THE DOTS TO THE ANSWERS. We have to invest in the labs to study the evidence.We are now in the place where if anyone is going to eat deer meat it will have to at least be tested .As time goes on there will be more and more got to have reasons for the labs.We have a choice, do nothing and end up with nothing or follow the promises of design for conservation and be the model for the nation .

9. manitou1

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Yeah... exactly what I was going to say. :)

Hawk likes this.
  10. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Why don't we just put a medicine in bag corn and allow feeding?

11. manitou1

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    There is no treatment to prevent it, no cure for it. As Hazelvillebucks was saying, they don't know what is transforming these prions or where they are coming from or what it is caused by.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    WBF likes this.
  12. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Often wondered about this myself ...especially with the newer info.....

13. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    What medicine do you speak of? We can't even get a test for hunters/landowners to utilize on site.

14. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    The results of Man trying to "assist" Mother Nature never ends well.......

BustinBucks likes this.
  15. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Hell i don't have a clue, surely there is someone smarter than me to figure that out. I just know that deers eat corn.o_O

WBF likes this.
  16. hazelvillebucks

Oct 28, 2014
    The pro
    The problem is man is the only critter that makes up a chart showing him at the top of the heap.Man is not assisting mother nature he is doing things that go against the laws Mother has set.When the answers are known mans actions will have a lot to do with why we have CWD.Why would man not explore the obvious ? Why is the public being fed bat science ?
    Are the deer something that ain,t worth fighting for ?
    AT THIS TIME DUE TO 50 YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC MAL PRACTICE THEY DON,T HAVE A CLUE WHAT MEDICINE MIGHT DEFEAT CWD. Now when it comes to the blue tongue type of diseases antibiotics could save one from loosing over 50 percent of the deer.And if a new form came the next year 50 percent of the remaining 50 percent.
    The last time i heard the mdc line of thought on the blue tongue midge fly diseases they thought it was not a problem that deer would be set back some but soon recover. The mdc web site even said that it never occurred 2 years in a row at the same place.That must have been early 2012 later that year those diseases exploded across our state , and the next year a lot of places got hammered again.IT APPEARS THAT 2 NEW STRAINS have made a appearance from somewhere , and those new strains are hammering even the more immune southern deer.

This coming of the new strains of the blue tongue type diseases also serves as a warning . At the meeting WHERE THE DEPARTMENTS TAKE ON THOSE DISEASES WERE EXPLAINED WE WERE ALSO TOLD THAT CWD WOULD NOT END DEER HUNTING. the thought was that when cwd was fully covering us we would still have deer season only all doe would be needed to maintain a stable population and we might get a chance at a trophy 3 year old.
    When a population gets so low that it is just maintaining every new threat takes from the number needed to maintain . THIS ATTITUDE and the expected outcome shows the foolishness of selective culling of deer when it is known that all will be needed in the end just to survive.
    I want the full fairy tale of the promises of design for conservation set loose. i really don,t think we even need a mdc if do nothin is the game.
    Seven years and no plan to confront the demon of cwd.The deer are worth fighting for the heritage of our grandchildren is worth fighting for.

manitou1 likes this.
  17. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I think you got lost in the translation...

"Assist" = Man feeding deer, farming deer, deer in cages, making mixtures of "feed" changing deer into cannibals....for trophy/unrealistic in the WILD headgear.... a few of man's "assistance" or attempts at "management" of the Whitetail.

I'm afraid " We" have brought this on ourselves.......

18. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    I agree 100%... which is why I think these CWD rules etc could be a bad idea.

19. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    If the assumptions are correct, the origin came out of research pens managed by CODOW, WYDOW and USFS.... the same people doing the same things to try to fix it... #irony

WBF likes this.
  20. henry

Maybe the species but not the tribe. It is a very very small portion of the species that supports raising deer as pets for big antlers and shooting them. Most of us got over that kind of behavior when we were youngsters .

Skduckhunt likes this.