Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Hawk Hibernator
2,642 Posts
Yes, but they have to hatch first!
Interesting that warm and dry weather also accompanied the boom......and racoons didnt eat all the eggs.
Dont get me wrong, I will kill every racoon I can, but what we really need is better weather, IMO.
They say the varmints are preoccupied eating the abundant cicadas as well( 2024 Is Missouri next cicada invasion)

·
Super Moderator
25,883 Posts
Turkey production goes up in a cicada year because poults and hens benefit from the availability of the abundant invertebrate food, spend less time feeding, and have less exposure to predation,” explained Indiana DNR turkey biologist

Zack Dunks, a turkey biologist for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, says the last major cicada emergence in 2008 led to a record year of wild turkey breeding and resulting poults.
just need about 10-12 gobblers to be presentson a a few various properties we hunt them on! Or, half that will still be fun chasing them.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Saw a hen tonight at our place with at least 4 chicken size poults. First young ones I’ve seen in quite a few years. Little ones even flew off. Made my day

21 - 25 of 25 Posts