First bird on public ground!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Bowpredator, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I'll have to admit, having never hunted public ground before, I was as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Didnt hear one gobble at daylight so started to look for a tom. I was heading down a logging road when I heard a shot a couple hundred yards further down so I made a right turn, straight up a hill and got on the other side of the ridge. I was calling periodically but not getting any responses at all. Came across a prescribed burn so I decided to make my way down one edge of it. finally got a response from a bird that sounded like he was 2-3 hundred yards away. (not really sure on the distance since there is so much leafed out already this year) After about a minute I could tell he was answering me and sounded like he was heading my way. Since I dont know the area well at all, I decided to play it safe and just set up in the burn where I could see pretty well cause I didnt want to get busted or run into another hunter. After about 10-15min of working him, he still sounded like he was getting closer but taking his time. about then, I hear 2 different voices from about the same location he was at yelling "HEY" "HEY" several times. They were too far away to be yelling at me but everytime they yelled, he shocked gobbled until, they apparently accomplished their mission and cut him off and spooked him away from me. Real nice. So I decided to eat a couple of sandwiches right there and take a break. After I got done, I called and got nothing so I got prepared to move somewhere else. I called one more time and a tom less than 100 yds away behind me cut me off. I clucked a couple times to try and pinpoint him and he cut me off again. After that, I set up and gave him nothing but an occasional cluck or purr. He took his time and started skirting around me. He got to his closest point at 33yds and stood behind a large tree for an eternity. I could only see his head when he would gobble, then it would stick out between 2 trees. Finally, he took 1 step further giving me a 33yd shot between the 2 trees and that was all it took. He's a 2 year old bird weighing 22lbs with a 11 and 1/4 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs. Now get this, when I had gotten prepared to relocate, I slapped my orange cap back on for safety and forgot I had it on! I killed this bird wearing my hunter orange cap and he never gave me the Festus eye one time.

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    :cheers: way to go. Maybe he was going to the orange for safety reasons.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    good job and nice bird. you were smart havin the orange with ya. were ya down by the piney somewhere??

4. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    awesome!
    i walked my butt off today, i had them gobble'n but none would come close enough. im glad you got one especially with this bad storm. did ya get him on green rd??? i drove down paddy yesturday and everyone and there brother was there.

5. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Way to go, Bowpredator!

Congrat's... :cheers:

6. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Woo hoo!!! Another success story!!! Congrats on a great bird!!!!
    :cheers::cheers::cheers:

7. winger

winger Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
    great job and on public land to boot.:eek::cheers::cheers:

8. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    yep.there is some slob hunters out there on government for sure.glad you got one of them gov birds:wink4:

9. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Great Job and it sure is nice to have patience....

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    BP, awesome story, awesome hunt and an awesome job!! Congratulations and a fine job of perserverance.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Jack

11. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  12. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Thanks all. I was back behind our place and about 1/4 mile from the Big Piney. The road I was initailly on goes to the river so that was where I was headed until I heard the first shot of the day. I was wondering how crowded Paddy was gonna be. I suspect next week will be busier all around.

13. Chinook84

Chinook84 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Congratulations, loved the story too! I haven't hunted public land, lots around here, but just haven't done it yet. I just got permission tonight for a 400 acre property that no one else is hunting on, so will be hitting t hat starting Thursday.