Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you believe that there are too many consecutive days of hunting with a modern firearm?

Currently there are 23 days of consecutive gun hunting which in my opinion is putting to much pressure and stress on the deer herd.

I think there are several options to relieve the pressure and stress.

1. Have a 15 day season and eliminate the antlerless season.
2. Have the regulaer firearms season and a 4 day antlerless season(atleast a 10 day period in between)
3. Have 2 seperate 9 day season with a 10 day break in between. No antlerless.

Not trying to start a war here, just wanted some other opinions.

What say you?

·
Under appreciated
89,819 Posts
Of those that you posted, I like option 2 the best. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
#1 with county by county buck and doe tag allotments.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,037 Posts
I don't believe I'm smart enough to argue against the MDC biologists who are already making the decisions on the herd.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I like number three. Three deer limit, with only one buck allowed, and no yearlings are allowed to be harvested.

Just my :02:

·
Registered
801 Posts
[rquote=1492327&tid=104236&author=pinwheel]I don't believe I'm smart enough to argue against the MDC biologists who are already making the decisions on the herd.[/rquote]

You still have an opinion. They use hunter feedback alot.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
heck just open it up year round , any weapon you wanna use. That'll spread out the pressure.

·
just a no body
14,792 Posts
#2 or 3 work for me .

I agree with your point wayy too much pressure in one big time slot.

I'll go with Caf 1/2 way...... a Doe allotment by county should be a #4 option

·
just a no body
14,792 Posts
[rquote=1492327&tid=104236&author=pinwheel]I don't believe I'm smart enough to argue against the MDC biologists who are already making the decisions on the herd.[/rquote]

you dont think the MDC policies have anything to do with OUTSIDE INFLUENCES?

It could be much like global warming that if the Bio's dont tow the line they are without a job ... just askn not accusing.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
I would love to see a split season. Much like IL does it. ANd please don't give IL doesn't have the deer population MO does, I am not sure who counts each and every living deer but IL population is very close to ours.

Or just open the season on a thursday and run it through thanksgiving then give the ML 4 days!

we currently have 39 days of gun season all in.

we could do away with ar's if we shortened and moved the firearms season and everyone may be happy and people can go back to shooting forkies and spikes and be accomplished buck hunters!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't really have a problem with the current system. Are the deer really all that pressured because of the antlerless season? If I am using the MDC telecheck website accurately, only 10,157 deer have been killed during the antlerless season... It's not like the population has been wiped out just because gun hunters have another opportunity to get out in the woods.

I think we are focusing on the wrong aspect. "Pressure" isn't just a function of season length. If we stopped giving away landowner tags, limited the doe tags, etc. then wouldn't there be less "pressure" on the deer population?

I would rather see more restrictive bag limits than restrict hunting opportunities. Get folks outdoors as much as possible - just don't let them kill everything that moves.

I'd also be curious to know of the "there is too much pressure" crowd: how many deer did you kill this year and are you voluntarily restricting your time in the woods?

·
Registered
310 Posts
[rquote=1492324&tid=104236&author=Marine95]Do you believe that there are too many consecutive days of hunting with a modern firearm? No.

What say you? See Above. [/rquote]

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Well yes stress is being put on deer, but deer learn to avoid humans and be more cauitious and smart overall. So its not like they are helpless and going to die of stress :shrug:

All of the options have there pros and cons...I kinda like option 2 more though.

=*=ViperSniper=*=

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,037 Posts
[rquote=1492332&tid=104236&author=kxpete627][rquote=1492327&tid=104236&author=pinwheel]I don't believe I'm smart enough to argue against the MDC biologists who are already making the decisions on the herd.[/rquote]

You still have an opinion. They use hunter feedback alot.[/rquote]

IMO, the trouble with these kind of opinions is they're more often than not for selfish reasons rather than what's best for the overall herd across the state. Any opinion I have, is based on my immediate experience & immediate area.

In my experience & area, the extended doe season isn't having that much negative impact. My farm is in a high deer density area with few row crops.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,037 Posts
[rquote=1492426&tid=104236&author=Viper Sniper]Well yes stress is being put on deer, but deer learn to avoid humans and be more cauitious and smart overall. So its not like they are helpless and going to die of stress :shrug:

All of the options have there pros and cons...I kinda like option 2 more though.

=*=ViperSniper=*=[/rquote]

Are you sure you're only 14? You sure make a a lot of sense for a young man of so few years.:cheers:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just think there needs to be a "cool down" period at some point. It needs to be broken up. I think if there was a break in between regular and antlerless you would actually see the doe harvest increase.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
no i don't believe there are to many days strung together. i believe they let you kill to many deer within the months of deer season period.

·
Registered
272 Posts

:rof2:
Pinwheel, if the resource scientists were making these decisions, you can rest assured the season would not be structured as it now is.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Why do you believe there is too much presure and stress on the deer herd? Have you noticed them dying off in large numbers from this stress? Are deer numbers too low in your area?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts