FIRE!!!! Fun stuff

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by thwackaddict, May 9, 2018.

1. thwackaddict

thwackaddict Senior Member

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    Sometimes we gets bored out here in the middle of nowhere.....strikin' matches just to watch em burn.
    My boys and I swapped cards on our trail cam. Thought this was a pretty nifty set of pics.

Pic 1) Couple of moron's in an old chevy with a small drip torch hanging out the window driving about 20 MPH.(thats me with the drip torch) Check the time stamp.

WGI_0387.JPG

Pic 2) Check the time stamp again....WOW
    WGI_0388.JPG

Pic 3) The fire has burned its way across the 200 yard long field. Check the time stamp again.
    WGI_0392.JPG

There was only about a 7-9 mph wind that day too. Can't imagine what a 30-40 mph day would be like.

We actually had to circle back the way we started from to get back out. Glad the truck didn't break down.

horntagger, Maddog3355, CRE10 and 5 others like this.

2. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    glad your fire breaks and backburns worked.

3. thwackaddict

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    Wish there was a way to store all of this heat. It would have heated my house and hot water for a year.

Whats amazing to me is when you stop and think that there is about 9 ton per acre of material out there... and it disappears in no time. It would have taken hours and days to mow rake and bale this to clear it off(not that you would anyway), lots of physical labor..... or light 1 match!

doepee likes this.
  4. thwackaddict

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    What are those?

Just kidding. Actually this piece boarders a dirt road and has 2 rivers and bare bean stubble around it. So it is pretty safe to let er rip.

5. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Fire is an awesome tool, it always amazes me when the head fire and back fire get close to each other and seem to pull themselves together make one HUGE fire and 15 seconds later there is nothing.

thwackaddict likes this.
  6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I see a lot of our members burning for the good. The only open ground I have is my pipeline right of way....no burning allowed by orders from the pipe line company for some odd reason. You'd think they would want to know if there was a leak anywhere on their pipeline....right? :rolleyes:

HomebrewDad and thwackaddict like this.
  7. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    do you have any south facing slopes of trees.

Did you have a forest plan made out with the PLC? They would identify any woodland areas that might benefit from a thinning and burn to promote a more diverse landscape with both trees and ground cover.

remington2225 and Wings Fan 19 like this.
  8. remington2225

remington2225 Active Member

Aug 16, 2014
    If it’s not in the easement I’d say burn away.

9. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Light it and then leave:cheers:

10. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Right.....my luck it would spread to my new cabin....or my neighbors house.

11. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Yea Mailman I was just joking around. I know you wouldn't do something like that.

12. thwackaddict

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    I have said that to my wife every year..... would be nice if somebody drove by on a midnite drunk and threw a cigarette out. I wouldn't have to put out any effort that way.:D

13. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Do u guys burn every year

14. thwackaddict

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    I know guys who do. I have burnt it the last two years. It has been super thick and heavy the last 3 years. A lot of people just burn every 3-5 years.

15. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I see, I found a hen nest that had been busted by a varmit back in late March in some old crp shed hunting