Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· High-tech Hillbilly
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I finished up my arrows for the upcoming season. I normally burn and paint the designs on the shafts but this year my wife wanted to help so it became a family project. Judging by how much fun she had, I think she'll do them all herself next year. I made 12 hunting arrows and 7 practice arrows. I used mahogany shafts that I got from Kevin Forrester of Forrester Wood Shafts. The total arrow weight is around 815 grains with a 190 grain Meathead broadhead. I am moose hunting in October and I wanted an arrow with some thump to it!

I tried something different this year with the fletching. I used straight fletching instead of helical. There was an article in a recent issue of "Traditional Bowhunter" that made a case for straight over helical fletching. I found the argument convincing so I thought I would give it a try.

Darren

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Hopefully they aren't too pretty to get bloody. :D

15,013 Posts
Looks good, what do you use to glue the broadheads/tips on?

· High-tech Hillbilly
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, all! It's a time-consuming project but it keeps me out of the pool halls.

Looks good, what do you use to glue the broadheads/tips on?
I have used a variety of glues over the years, mostly Ferrule-Tite and its offspring. I am now using some hot-melt glue I get from Big Jim's Bow Company. I had a lot of trouble with my points pulling off in cold weather when using Ferrule-Tite. I don't have that as much with this new glue.

Darren

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.