Finds in the woods today (pics)

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by Hoytshooter, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I was finishing posting a piece of property for a friend today and decided to take a short walk in some good looking timber hoping to stumble on a shed.
    I found 3 dead deer within 90 yards or so of one another. One looked to be a small doe, yearling, that had been there awhile. It was in a bean field and the skull was busted so I'm guessing at the earliest a combine drove over it.
    The second was totally intact with only the leg bones being scattered and they were within 10 feet or so. Looked to be a really nice doe. Nothing left but bone but my guess is this years.
    The third was another big doe. Seemed to be mostly there but really scattered and I think from this year as well. Only bone remained.
    The second and the third were both about 60 yards or less inside the timber from the bean field and the last looked as if it had crawled under what would have been thick in the fall to die. I'm thinking maybe someone is shooting from the road at these deer and just letting them run off and die if they don't drop. About a 75-90 yard shot from the road.
    Not what I was wanting to find. What should I tell the guy that owns it?

Didn't get pics of the one in the field, but here's the first in the timber. Camera phone so not great pictures...
  2. Hoytshooter

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    second one in the timber

3. northmobigbuck

northmobigbuck New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Carroll County Mo
    Well that is a shame if someone or should I say some a$$ was doing that.
  4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Bizzare to say the least, hard to tell what happened since all was left is the bones..

That you found 3 dead deer? :confused:
  5. Hoytshooter

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I'm planning on telling him that, but I don't want to go leading him to believe that people are poaching on him necessarily.
  6. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Yeah, i didnt mean it to sound like a smart :ass: i would say he either wants to know, whether he knows he has problems with poachers, or care about his herd and might look into it in case there is a disease, or he doesnt want to know because he left em out there or knows he has problems with it and doesnt wanna hear about it.. ok so that really didnt make sense..

but yeh i would jus non shalontly (have no idea how to spell that correctly) tell him that you noticed em and wanted to let him know... The first time i hunted a piece of property several years back i came acrossed 2 dead deer, didnt know the guy very well, didnt know how he would take it, hes real country and might very well have killed them himself and ate them, but i told him and he was happy to hear it.. said he had been having some problems with some people sneaking in on the backside of hi property and poaching..
  7. Hoytshooter

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    This guy would definately want to know, I just don't want him to go nuts when I don't really know the cause
  8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    right on.. i gotcha man... could be lots of causes, especially this day and age, poachers, disease,big cats, sick yotes, bears, gimped, etc..
  9. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    I would be real honest and tell him what you found and where you found them...

Shame you found them as skeletons... and with this not so harsh winter we've had I think road hunting may be the answer to this. :frown:
  10. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

They are so clean and bleached, I wonder if they might have met their end during the spring or summer, when the bugs were still out to do the cleaning. The annual road kill that died on one of our families farms at the edge of town in november still has some hide and flesh on it.

11. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Hoyt - My .02....tell your friend what you found, what you suspect and recommend that he call MDC to see if they are interested in looking it over. If nothing else, it might help increase their presence in the area if they believe road hunting is occurring. :cool:
  12. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Exactly what I was thinking. I don't think they're from this year.
  13. clansey

clansey New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Bozeman, MT
    Last week while in Wyane County IA, I found 5 dead deer while shed hunting. 3 were yearlings and 2 were nice 1 1/2 year old bucks. I found all 5 within 1 mile of each other. I talked with IA department of conservation about it and they are very interested in coming out to have a look.
  14. V.P.

V.P. New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Every time I find a dead deer...

...I always notify the land owner and call the CO. The CO will want to know, from my experience, if the deer appeared to be poached or not. And it helps build trust with the land owner that you are looking out for what is happening on his land.

Also, those pics look like those deer have been dead well over a year.
  15. Hoytshooter

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Henry and Hthrly

The thing that made me think that they were this years deer, especially the first one in the timber is that there wasn't any dirt or staining from laying on the ground on the bones. They could have been prior to the season like you said though. Either way they aren't too old.