Finally!

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by Arrow Flinger, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Arrow Flinger

Arrow Flinger Active Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Kearney
    I have been after this deer all season, with close to 50 sits throughout the season it all came together Friday January 12th. The wind was a cold northwest which setup perfect for my stand so in I climb about 3pm. I had 2 small bucks and 2 doe do just what I didn't want and they came on the south side of me to the bean stubble. The 1st buck got down wind and knew something was up, he turned and headed towards the timber along with the other 3. I sat there hoping my target buck wasn't in that group and just holding back. About 10 minutes go by and 400 yards to the north the deer start piling out. I watched them for 5 minutes and they disappeared. Another 5 go by and that herd was coming over the hill closing the gap. I watched but it was all yearlings, doe, and small bucks. They milled around the bean stubble 30-50 west of me. I had spent so much time watching these deer I had no idea another dozen had made there way to the bean stubble straight east. I glassed and saw my target and another bigger deer that I had only seen once. They were 100 yards out and all of the sudden my target buck saw this herd to the west and he was on his way. By this point my fingers were numb and in pain. He got to 30 yards and I drew my bow, i let him come another 5 and stopped him. Hit the release and my bow was so cold it made a horrific noise and the deer dropped. Spine shot and down he goes. I quickly release my harness got down and put the fishing shot in him. Great end to a very long season. The bigger buck never did come any closer than 100 yards but all in all my biggest bow kill to date.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Slade, nevergvup, MOFish20 and 22 others like this.
  2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Congrats. Glad your persistence paid off.

3. Arrow Flinger

Oct 28, 2008
    Kearney
    Thank you!

4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
  5. jewilliams

jewilliams Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2012
    SEMO.
    Great deer!
    Congrats.

6. ILoveDeer

ILoveDeer Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Very Nice Buck!!!!
    Mark

7. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Man that's awesome. I had lots of turkeys around me and when I pulled out of the field I glasses 3 nice bucks across the beans so I might try the other side tomorrow night before the snow haha

8. Jfo_outdoors

Jfo_outdoors Active Member

Feb 19, 2011
    central il
  9. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

Good deal! Way to stay with it!

10. 76_michael

76_michael Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Lincoln Co.
  11. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
  12. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Sweet! Congrats.

13. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Congratulations on a beautiful buck. I salute you for putting in the time to make it happen.

14. Arrow Flinger

Oct 28, 2008
    Kearney
    Thanks guys, this has been like checkers with this deer. I would sit on the north side he would come out of the south timber. If I was south he would be north. Just like he was watching me come in and choose my stand location. Smart animals for sure.

truehunter likes this.
  15. LeGrande

LeGrande Member

Jun 26, 2016
    St Robert
    Great looking buck, congratulations!

16. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    Heck ya man. Way to stay after it!

17. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Oh yea! Way to stick with it. Nice buck!

18. p17

p17 Senior Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Holt
    Nice buck. Giant brows!

19. Rainman

Rainman It Is What It Is

Nov 14, 2013
    Glad it all came together for you, persistence pays off!

20. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Well done! When you cape him out or whatever, have a look at the pedicles and see if the antlers were starting to separate from the skull