Finally the first batch of jerky for the year is on!

Discussion in 'Just Good Food' started by Shrapnel, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    Well, marinating anyway...tomorrow the house fills with that awesome smell. :cheers:

Just read and bumped Pmans recipe....will be giving that a try with the next batch for sure...thanks Pman.

2. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    What's the recipe that you are using for this batch?

Oh, and good bump on Pman's recipe! :cheers:

3. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    Eastman outdoors, whiskey pepper blend. It's a dry seasoning and cure you mix....really a pita because you have to sprinkle and turn every piece by hand to coat evenly and make sure you get a good cure...24 hour sit then onto the dehydrater.

Thats a big reason i wanna try pmans recipe it sounds like his can all be done in one day and the liquid cure sounds a lot faster! My dehydrater will do 5lbs in 4-5 hours.

4. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    gotta batch of eastmans outdoors hickory (ground meat) jerky on the dehydrator right now........love the smell.

5. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    I like muscle meat for jerky a lot better than ground, but the kids love making ground meat into slim jim sized snack sticks with the jerky gun.....ground is a lot easier to cure also.

6. Clippers

Clippers New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Kirksville,MO
    I'm putting some deer meat in to marinade tonight. Nothing makes ya ready to deer hunt more than the smell of fresh homemade jerky!:cheers:

7. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    [rquote=1886617&tid=131366&author=Shrapnel]I like muscle meat for jerky a lot better than ground, but the kids love making ground meat into slim jim sized snack sticks with the jerky gun.....ground is a lot easier to cure also.[/rquote]
    i prefer uscle jerky also but the kida and wife out rule me they say its too chewy:blah:

8. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Put the jerky in the smoker for an hour at 165 degrees and then dehydrate it. Good stuff.