Finally!!! Rainy day turkey.....

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by alwyshntn, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Well after waking up at 4:30 this morning and hearing rain pounding my bedroom window. I decided to sleep in a little and see what the weather would bring later in the morning. I woke back up at around 7 a.m. and it seemed to be letting up a little so I decided to get my gear together and head out to the turkey woods. The whole way out to my hunting spot I was seeing hens out in the fields feeding in the light rain. With that in mind I decided to stick to the open fields and watch for birds out in the open areas feeding and doing their buisness. It wasn't long out before I spotted my first gobbler w/ hen feeding across a open hay field. I tried to position myself parallel to them and do some soft calling. It worked on the hen as she came within 15 yards to investigate as the big tom stayed out about 50-60yds strutting. After close investigation and no sighting of a turkey the hen decided to get nervous and move off w/ the gobbler. Just a few minutes later from the same location I spotted two turkeys crossing a low spot in the field some 300+yds away. Not knowing if they were hens or gobblers and seeing now 4 turkeys from this same location I decided to get the decoys out in the field while I could and get settled in for a sit. Not more than 15 minutes after setting up the dekes and making a few clucks and yelps I saw two redheads heading my way through the grass ahead. Well to end this rambling they worked right into my dekes and the rest the Mossberg took care of. He had a 9.5 inch beard, 1 5/16 spurs, and weighed in at 22#.

Oh yeah and all this on government ground. I have been hunting it mostly this week because it is close to my house as opposed to hunting at the farm or lease which are 1 to 1.5 hours away.

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Good job Tim!!! Sounds like a good hunt.

3. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
  4. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
  5. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Good Job!!!:cheers:

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin can't go out in the rain Sugar melts.

6. Hunta4Life19

Hunta4Life19 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
  7. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    great job, congrats

8. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Good going......:banana: