Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be getting old because we spent about 2 hrs there as brother had shopping to do and I did not buy a thing.

Saw a few items of interest that had $5 off. They were $10 over priced to start with. Dont care much for our store-Love the one in Springfied but this one does not compare.

Cabelas has been and still is my go to place here.

:sniper:

·
Registered
69,560 Posts
IMO Bass Pro caters more to the clothing line than to the sportsman. Cabelas is the only place that carries reloading stuff that I need. Not much at all at Bass Pro anymore......plus Cabelas has the Bargain Cave. Not so for the smaller BP stores. You have to go to Springfield to shop theirs.

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,590 Posts
Well... Cabelas had a flyer earlier this week. I took a son and employee over. There were three things in the ad I wanted. NOT ONE was in the store. No employees could even answer where they might be... as though they were never there? Employee wanted one of the summer sausage packs. Gal told him they were getting two in per day.
Loss leaders to get us in the store. I'll go when they have something I can't get elsewhere, otherwise I'll mail order, drive to Rogers, or BP.
Do I sound like a happy camper?:soapbox:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
:cheers: I think Rogers is about the only place you can go where the workers may actually MAYBE know what they're talking about rather than just being a retail store worker that wouldn't mind the switch to WALMART next week if they had to.

Parker

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by UrbanHunter
Well... Cabelas had a flyer earlier this week. I took a son and employee over. There were three things in the ad I wanted. NOT ONE was in the store. No employees could even answer where they might be... as though they were never there? Employee wanted one of the summer sausage packs. Gal told him they were getting two in per day.
Loss leaders to get us in the store. I'll go when they have something I can't get elsewhere, otherwise I'll mail order, drive to Rogers, or BP.
Do I sound like a happy camper?:soapbox:
Man, that stinks....I don't know about Bass Pro, but I imagine they might be doing the same thing especially if they are advertising the same items as Cabela's. Chairman was interested in purchasing a gun at Cabela's that they had advertised. He called up there and they said they wouldn't be getting any in for 6 months....:eek::eek:

I know for sure in the future I'll be calling to either store if either one has anything on sale of that nature that I might be interested in.

That being said, I still prefer Cabela's.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
GH, That sure is a nice store you guys got in Independence though. I liked it alot better and found more hunting products in it than I did at the one in Columbia, MO.

Since being in Iowa though I've become kinda partial to Sportsmans Warehouse and Schells in Des Moines. Anyone ever been to either?? Pretty nice stores....I was impressed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by alwyshntn
GH, That sure is a nice store you guys got in Independence though. I liked it alot better and found more hunting products in it than I did at the one in Columbia, MO.

Since being in Iowa though I've become kinda partial to Sportsmans Warehouse and Schells in Des Moines. Anyone ever been to either?? Pretty nice stores....I was impressed.
Sportsman's Warehouse in Ankeny, IA is my go-to store. I rarely go to Scheels but a few times a year.

There is a new BP going in Altoona (NE side of DSM)...not that I expect much out of it. I hope it doesn't hurt/close down Sportsman's Whse. As long as they can make it through the opening & people realize their stuff is priced a lot higher & there isn't much besides a nice looking building with mounts, they should be ok.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Contrary opinion:

I don't understand all of the Bass Pro haters on this site and otherwise. People complain about a lack of merchandise and poor service. I really don't understand:

1. Lack of hunting merchandise? As best I can tell, they have more than I will ever need. Sometimes they run out of stuff, but what store doesn't? Sounds like Cabela's does as well. Frankly, I usually use Powder Horn here in Columbia because I would rather use local folks, and they're good people. But they don't have near the selection that the Columbia BP has. Neither does any other "local" shop I've ever been to. And they are much more likely to be out of something than BP. If BP doesn't have something in stock, let them know about it. If it's a consistent problem, write the company.

2. Prices? I'm not saying BP is always cheap on everything, but I'm not sure where the stuff I buy and want is regularly cheaper, except maybe at Wal-Mart, and WM is getting pretty poor in the hunting department. They run some decent sales, and their rewards system helps out if you take advantage of it. Sure, sometimes you can find a sale at Cabela's that beats a BP price. You can do the counter as well. But when Cablea's beats BP on price for something when you consider the transportation costs and convenience for most of us in Missouri, that difference is reduced and some times eliminated.

3. Service? I have had poor service at BP a couple of times and I've had some great service at BP. Most of it has been more than satisfactory. I've been to Cabela's in KS a few times, and their service was fine. However, BP has provided the greatest measure of service to those of us in Missouri by building stores near our homes so we don't have to travel hours away to go to Cabela's. If you have a problem with service, make sure the manager and/or the company knows.

I can see that Cabela's emphasizes hunting more than BP. Remember, BP was started as a bait shop. Can't hardly blame them for staying true to their roots. And I don't know about the ones in Independence and St. Charles, but the Bass Pro in Columbia seems to have every thing I need for hunting and more. They don't always have everything in stock. But, the one very memorable time they did - I wanted a particular climbing tree stand they were out of - gave me the upgrade for the same price. Cabela's may do the same thing, but I'm not sure how they do it better. If BP doesn't carry some unique item, I'm not going to punish them. Just like when other stores don't carry an item, I'll look for the place that does.

Bass Pro Shops is a Missouri company that employs a lot of Missourians, a lot more than Cabela's. It also is a very good corporate citizen for us: it provides very inexpensive conceal and carry courses ($10 and it feeds you lunch) and regulary donates and participates in local shooting sports charities (I've never seen anything donated by Cabelas at any of the local NRA, DU etc . . . banquets). I don't know this for a fact, but I think it's safe to assume that BP and Johnny Morris provide political support to Missouri state candidates who support the interests of hunters and the shooting sports.

I'm not knocking Cabela's as a company and a store. If I lived in Kansas, I might prefer to go there too. But the grass is not always greener outside of Missouri, and for Missourians, Bass Pro has been a pretty good deal for us.

I'll always give priority to Powder Horn and local shops like it. I also want to give props to Midway USA as a great MISSOURI source for a lot of shooting supplies, particularly re-loading supplies. But Bass Pro is local to Missouri, particularly those of us in Springfield, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia, and I would hope Missourians would remember that before they drive way out of their way to do business with another company.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Originally posted by alwyshntn

Steve Scheel is my neighbor so I have to say its a good place, their corporate headquarters are in Fargo.

·
just a no body
14,568 Posts
Originally posted by Booches
Contrary opinion:

I don't understand all of the Bass Pro haters on this site and otherwise. People complain about a lack of merchandise and poor service. I really don't understand:

1. Lack of hunting merchandise? As best I can tell, they have more than I will ever need. Sometimes they run out of stuff, but what store doesn't? Sounds like Cabela's does as well. Frankly, I usually use Powder Horn here in Columbia because I would rather use local folks, and they're good people. But they don't have near the selection that the Columbia BP has. Neither does any other "local" shop I've ever been to. And they are much more likely to be out of something than BP. If BP doesn't have something in stock, let them know about it. If it's a consistent problem, write the company.

2. Prices? I'm not saying BP is always cheap on everything, but I'm not sure where the stuff I buy and want is regularly cheaper, except maybe at Wal-Mart, and WM is getting pretty poor in the hunting department. They run some decent sales, and their rewards system helps out if you take advantage of it. Sure, sometimes you can find a sale at Cabela's that beats a BP price. You can do the counter as well. But when Cablea's beats BP on price for something when you consider the transportation costs and convenience for most of us in Missouri, that difference is reduced and some times eliminated.

3. Service? I have had poor service at BP a couple of times and I've had some great service at BP. Most of it has been more than satisfactory. I've been to Cabela's in KS a few times, and their service was fine. However, BP has provided the greatest measure of service to those of us in Missouri by building stores near our homes so we don't have to travel hours away to go to Cabela's. If you have a problem with service, make sure the manager and/or the company knows.

I can see that Cabela's emphasizes hunting more than BP. Remember, BP was started as a bait shop. Can't hardly blame them for staying true to their roots. And I don't know about the ones in Independence and St. Charles, but the Bass Pro in Columbia seems to have every thing I need for hunting and more. They don't always have everything in stock. But, the one very memorable time they did - I wanted a particular climbing tree stand they were out of - gave me the upgrade for the same price. Cabela's may do the same thing, but I'm not sure how they do it better. If BP doesn't carry some unique item, I'm not going to punish them. Just like when other stores don't carry an item, I'll look for the place that does.

Bass Pro Shops is a Missouri company that employs a lot of Missourians, a lot more than Cabela's. It also is a very good corporate citizen for us: it provides very inexpensive conceal and carry courses ($10 and it feeds you lunch) and regulary donates and participates in local shooting sports charities (I've never seen anything donated by Cabelas at any of the local NRA, DU etc . . . banquets). I don't know this for a fact, but I think it's safe to assume that BP and Johnny Morris provide political support to Missouri state candidates who support the interests of hunters and the shooting sports.

I'm not knocking Cabela's as a company and a store. If I lived in Kansas, I might prefer to go there too. But the grass is not always greener outside of Missouri, and for Missourians, Bass Pro has been a pretty good deal for us.

I'll always give priority to Powder Horn and local shops like it. I also want to give props to Midway USA as a great MISSOURI source for a lot of shooting supplies, particularly re-loading supplies. But Bass Pro is local to Missouri, particularly those of us in Springfield, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia, and I would hope Missourians would remember that before they drive way out of their way to do business with another company.
well let ne put it this way .. on our Elk hunting trips the only thing that we found at BP that was better than Cabelas was their BIG BOY CHAIRS and getting them was a fiasco.. after that they sucked. I could go on & on.

you spend your hard earned $$ how you want but Cabelas gets my $$ 99 times out of 100 and its via mail order. I'm not stupid enough to waist time & $$ to drive across state when S& H is cheaper than driving to BP and not taxed . Just cuz its a Mo company doesnt mean squat in my book..it doesnt make the screwn feel any better. Your logic to me is beyond comprehension. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

my fantasy is to see a Cabelas here in central MO

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out how this fits on the Predator forum? :confused:

·
Registered
11,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by MOGC
I'm just trying to figure out how this fits on the Predator forum? :confused:
Cauz you will also find this hard to believe - I made a mistake:wave:

One of them mild mannered mods can move it to social if they want.

:superman:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Originally posted by beanpile
Originally posted by Booches
Contrary opinion:

well let ne put it this way .. on our Elk hunting trips the only thing that we found at BP that was better than Cabelas was their BIG BOY CHAIRS and getting them was a fiasco.. after that they sucked. I could go on & on.

you spend your hard earned $$ how you want but Cabelas gets my $$ 99 times out of 100 and its via mail order. I'm not stupid enough to waist time & $$ to drive across state when S& H is cheaper than driving to BP and not taxed . Just cuz its a Mo company doesnt mean squat in my book..it doesnt make the screwn feel any better. Your logic to me is beyond comprehension. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

my fantasy is to see a Cabelas here in central MO
BP: so your proud of the fact that you don't spend money on travelling or sales taxes because you buy via mail order, but in your fantasy world, you will spend the money drive to a closer Cabela's (and pay sales taxes)? No offense, but to quote you, "your logic to me is beyond comprehension. :shrug::shrug::shrug:"

I'm not knocking Cabela's. I like Cabela's, and would like one in Central Missouri too. But there isn't one yet, and I doubt there will be any time soon. I just think there is a mob mentality sometimes against Bass Pro that isn't warranted, and Bass Pro criticisms are frequently followed by a delcaration of loyalty to Cabela's for some reason. And there are people who cut off their nose to spite their face by driving a long way to buy things from the Cabela's in KS rather than buying the same thing from Bass Pro that's next door. Sure it's their choice. But I would hope they would give the companies that HAVE built a local store more consideration. And I suggest that just because someone reads an anecdote about a problem someone has with Bass Pro on here or otherwise, that at least give their local store a real chance rather than concluding that it won't work for them. And, again, if you have a probelm with Bass Pro, tell them - maybe they'll fix it so you won't have to drive to Kansas. If they don't, then they have a problem.

No I don't have any stock in Bass Pro.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
I'll just state my experiences here. I live about the same distance from both Bass Pro in Independence and Cabela's in KCK. I've bought a few items from Bass Pro, and even the one in Columbia, but still prefer Cabela's when it comes to selection of HUNTING items. They to me have a better selection of that and Bass Pro is usually higher on several items in the hunting lines. A lot of times its scopes, etc.

Don't forget, there is a Cabela's in the St. Louis area also I believe. And from Columbia I imagine it's not much further than the one in KCK. :cheers:

Just my .02

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I still get excited every time i know im going to Bass Pro, cuz it sure beats the heck out of Wal Mart, never been to a Cabelas

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Originally posted by marshallgrn
I still get excited every time i know im going to Bass Pro, cuz it sure beats the heck out of Wal Mart, never been to a Cabelas
If ya get excited going to Bass pro, you will have to change yer pants after you go to Cabela's...:cheers:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Heeler:

That makes sense. I agree that Cabela's has a wider hunting selection, although I can't think of anything that I wanted or needed that I can't get from Bass Pro here in Columbia. And if BP didn't have something that I wanted that Cabela's had, or Cabela's price made the drive worthwhile (or I had the time or inclination to mail order from Cabela's), I'd buy it from Cabela's too.

Question: I have never been to the Cabela's in St. Louis. Is it as big as the one in Kansas?

·
17,685 Posts
Originally posted by marshallgrn
When u went to go Marshall?:pop:Cabelas I know a guide and a driver here in Kansas:whistle:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hey, to everyone: sorry if my posts in this thread came across as rude. I re-read this thread and figured out what a big donkey I've been for getting on a soapbox over this.:toilet: Merry Christmas!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts