Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i actually shot him saturday morning, but didn't want to post it until i got the pics downloaded. nobody likes a tease!:rotfl:

here it is. friday night my dad saw a gobbler out in a field by our house. every morning after we see him there in the evening, he is there in the morning.

so saturday morning me and dad set up on the edge of that field. well we got the decoys set up and our calls out when we hear him gobble about 80 yards in the woods behind us. dad is facing up hill into the woods, and i'm facing the field. he would gobble about every 5 or so minutes. we didn't call to him too much b/c the birds are starting to get a little call shy back home.

so about 6:10 am a turkey flies down and over our heads to the field. well i thought it was the gobbler for sure, so i get my gun up and ready. turns out it was a hen that was with the gobbler. she landed right next to our decoys.

so now i'm thinking that nothing could go wrong b/c his girlfriend just became friends with our decoys. well about a minute later the gobbler flies down in the woods and starts walking down towards the field. he comes walking right down at my dad (facing up into the woods), turns and walks perpendicular to him about 6 yards away! luckily he didn't spook! guess the mossy oak did it's job saturday!

anyhoo...he came out in the field about 40 yards away and strutted his way into the decoys. it was an awesome sight and and awesome hunt! i ended up shooting him at 18 yards. he was 23 lbs, 10" beard and 1.25" spurs.

i'll get the pics up as soon as i can figure out how to post them.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Good stuff!
Congrats on your bird!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Parker
NICE FREAKIN' GUN! Tell us about that baby!

Parker
i bought if for last turkey seaons. it's a remington 870 supermag with the thumbhole stock. it's freakin' awesome!! i would love to have a semi, but can't justify spending 1k on a gun that i use a few weeks out of the year (i wanted a browning gold).

i love that gun. pattern holds together out to 50 yards with the 3.5" xtended range. this is the first bird that it claimed. at 18 yards, it messed his head up pretty good. i have a close up of it's head, but it's pretty graphic...so i didn't post it.

·
10,944 Posts
job well done 58, the hunt with dad will be very special in years to come. the old cabin is really cool also. get a pic of it and post it please, you dont see em like that very often.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Hannibal
job well done 58, the hunt with dad will be very special in years to come. the old cabin is really cool also. get a pic of it and post it please, you dont see em like that very often.
thnaks, hannibal. funny story bout that though...that is not a cabin. it is a slave house. the house on our farm back home (where my parents live, and me and my two brothers grew up) was built in the 1840s. it was a big plantation back in the day. the building you're seeing is actually where the farm owners kept the slaves.

and i just happen to have some pics right here on the ole computer....i'll get them up right now...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.