Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am sure most of you are aware it has been raining a little bit and as a river fisherman it has been a frustrating year so far! Had one decent trip a few weeks ago targeting goggle-eye but caught a few smallies as well. Was FINALLY able to hit our favorite stretch of the river this past weekend and even though it was still up and moving pretty good, we were able to land a few. Then we got chased off the river by a big storm right as we were getting to the best water. :mad2::mad2::mad2: Anyway, was fortunate to land a couple of decent ones and one big girl in the time we had out. Hoping to head out again this weekend if they drop after the rain this past weekend.
Smile Vertebrate Sky Hat Fisherman
Water Smile Vertebrate Lake Fish

· Registered
32,993 Posts
I need to hit the river by my house...... wife is reluctant to let me go though.

· King of Callaway
43,375 Posts
Water behind you looks a lot better than I suspected it would, definitely a rough year for anyone who does anything on a river.

Reactions: RchurE

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water behind you looks a lot better than I suspected it would, definitely a rough year for anyone who does anything on a river.
It was just a little over a foot high this past weekend and it had some color to it, but still pretty good visibility. Made for pretty decent fishing using reaction baits. Now it is 6 feet high...

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well done, I need to start fishing for these!
Nah, more for the rest of us if you don't start. :) If only you knew someone that was big into smallmouth fishing...especially if that person was a ginger...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

· Where'd the quail go?
262 Posts
Do you ever keep any of the smallies? Just curious. I stocked a few in our pond in 2015. They are getting up around 17". Have been catching a few, but released them all. Figure they'll at least go to 7 yrs.
Grass People in nature Fish Crocodile Wildlife biologist

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you ever keep any of the smallies? Just curious. I stocked a few in our pond in 2015. They are getting up around 17". Have been catching a few, but released them all. Figure they'll at least go to 7 yrs.
View attachment 138933
That is a good one. Glad to hear they are thriving in a pond. Completely different environment! No, we don't keep them. Enjoy catching them too much and they take too long to grow to keep any. Every fish is returned to the water after photos.

· Part-time malcontent
8,455 Posts
View attachment 138933
I'd love to do some fly-casting in that pond!!

· Where'd the quail go?
262 Posts
It's back in the woods. Stays shaded. About an acre. Water stays pretty cool all summer. We have caught one 5" smallie (last year). So I think they've spawned. I built up gravel beds on larger rocks all around the shallow end when we dug it. Hoping they would use it for nesting. Otherwise it's just a dirt farm pond.
Water Plant Water resources Tree Sky

Trying to get yellow perch going also. They started out like gangbusters, but have been slowing down. I think the hybrid bluegill I put in are hammering the young yellow perch.

So far I've kept 2 of the smallies. It hurt to keep them, but they were caught by grandkids. Grandma campaigned hard for them to be kept.

· Part-time malcontent
8,455 Posts

· Where'd the quail go?
262 Posts
Just a bit more information on smallmouth bass. This is from a article in pond boss magazine 2009.
"Myth Circle
Temperature myths about smallies requiring clear, cool, rocky bottom habitats have been prolonged by combined writings of outdoor writers and authors of fishery journals (Ripley and Sura 1999). Early fishing and semi-pro fishery writers referred only to basic early research in their articles. Wildlife and Natural Resource agencies often repeated the temperature myths found in fishery-related books and magazines.
Even today, angling writers, who have not carefully reviewed detailed scientific literature regarding temperature tolerances of smallmouth bass are still referencing the old mythical literature. Thus, the circle of errors about temperature myths for smallies are still commonly repeated. So, what has been written up to now in many articles may not tell the whole story about this fascinating fish."

· Where'd the quail go?
262 Posts
Who stocked it with smallies? MDC?
Nope. MDC likes to stick largemouth bass, bluegill, and channel cat. I wanted to try something different. There's a guy in St Louis that sells fish all over the Midwest. He gets fish from MN, SD, KS, and NE. I bought yellow perch, red ear sunfish, smallies, and some hybrid striped bass from him. I'd read about guys trying this traditionally northern stocking plan further south than our place up by Mark Twain. That was in 2015. So far it's been going well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.