Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance and a good looking forecast. I made it out to the property yesterday and mowed all the perennial plots and also mowed the wheat that was still standing and brown from last winter. I didn't take the camera with because I drove the tractor out there but I'll get some pics asap.
Everything is looking pretty good, even had a bunch of austrian winter peas coming on about 2 feet tall in the wheat. Figured I would scatter all the seed and I'll be working all those plots in a couple of weeks and planting.
Mowed yesterday, got a little rain last night and got more tonight with chances for storms tomorrow...all is right in my food plot world!

· Registered
3,898 Posts
Congrats...do you think the wheat had matured enuf to be cut down for seed? Our wheat up at Lancaster was still soft. Oh yeah, we had oats come back from last fall...tough winter huh??? Our AWP were doing a good job of climbing up the wheat also...I wonder why the deer have not devoured that stuff??

Attachments

· Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Thayer
I wonder why the deer have not devoured that stuff??
You and me both!! That picture you posted is exactly what mine looked like, about 2 acres worth and I didn't notice any evidence that the AWPs had been touched. I thought that was a little strange to. My guess is that there is just so much available forage now that they may be staying more in the timber and gorging themselves but who knows. My perennial plots show alot of signs of being used alot so I'm not sure.
As for the wheat...I wasn't really concerned with spreading the seeds for reseeding purposes, I'm not planning on having wheat in those plots this year. If some happens to volunteer that's fine, but I'm not counting on it. More than anything I wanted to go ahead and get it mowed while I was already out there with the tractor. I was more talking about scattering the seeds for the birds than anything else maybe they'll enjoy a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.