Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a toilet flange for a toilet in the hunting cabin. Being my first install, I wanted to get input on my success, or failure? I think I did it correctly:

1. 3" PVC
2. Cut off level with the cement floor
3. 3" Flange insert (has a rubber boot, and the flange goes inside the 3" pipe)
4. I screwed the flange into the concrete using two tap screws (I believe that's what they're called)
5. Under the flange, I used two rubber boots (donut shaped) to fill a 1/4" gap under the flange, between the flange and conrete.
6. The flange is fairly level, but could be improved

Questions:
1. Does the flange need to sit level, left to right, and back to front when a level is placed on top?
2. Are the rubber boots okay? Acting like a shim...
3. I used two screws to mount the flange, should I utilize the other 4 holes on the flange, and secure with an additional 4 screws into the conrete?

Pipe - I guess this is directed at you, since you're my plumbing mentor! :D In advance, thanks for the advice.

[file]8156[/file]

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I can help ya some on piping but being a pipefitter and not a plumber,I cant help ya on that one,I have no experience on this part of a project,my guess`s would be since the toilet sits and mounts solely in the flange,I would use all screws holes,but as far as exact leveling I wouldnt be to concerned due to the wax ring forms to a gasket
hope I helped

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
just hand me a stinger and a hood and its not gonna leak, but im no good plumbing or doing eletric. i just got done running a 2" air pipeline. around 70-80 welds not 1 leak! i was surprised. i though there would be at least a few pinholes.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Question 1. No need to be perfectly level, like Pipe said the wax ring will create the seal and compensate for slight imperfections.

Question 2. Those are fine.

Question 3. No need to use all the screws. There are a bunch of holes on the flange to acomodate many different toilets and extension flanges. The most important connection is the one with the bolts between the toilet and the flange.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Looks like a pro install to me, but then again my plumbing Lic. has expired.
As long as the tolet sits nice and steady on the floor it should be fine. If however it rocks or moves at all, you will need to shim it so that it doesnt move.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
To follow up.......it is very rare to have a perfectly flat floor and perfectly flat toilet bottom so make sure to get some clear plastic shims for under the toilet.

You dont want any bowl movement when you are having a bowel movement:hysterical:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.