Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........for my handloading. A local shop had a little Grizzly 8689 table top mill they didn't use. I made them an offer, they took it and now it's setting on a stand in my shop....:D It didn't come with any tooling so $300 order is in at Grizzly for end mills, end mill holders, a better vise than what was on it and the T-bolt mounting set.

I can't imagine what else I could possibly need. I have the lathe, mill, two presses, plenty of molds, 3 lead furnaces for different alloy's, enough die sets to choke a mule...ain't much I can't do now, with the final addition!

Building Electrical wiring Gas Machine Engineering

Electronic instrument Electrical wiring Gas Machine Engineering

Good grief....how do I rotate those?

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
80 percent receivers in your future
Extremely unlikely...even if I knew how. More like things needed for handloading and parts and sights for old firearms.

I can't say how many times the lathe has come in so handy and not just for loading and firearms stuff. There's all kinds of stuff around the house and automotive that both can be used for. It hasn't save my bacon, really, but has saved waiting a few to several days for parts I made that otherwise I would have had to order and, has saved a little to a lot of money. I expect the mill to be the same once I get the hang of it. I'll NEVER be a real machinist but I ain't a bad hobbyist.

Most importantly, to me, is that there is several firearms I either couldn't be shooting or would have had to pay significant sums to get them shooting if I didn't have the lathe.

Edit: I almost forgot, thanks cat, for rotating those.

Reactions: WBF

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Bob, it has the Morris Taper #3. I looked at the collets for it but as you know, they're pricey. What I did was order 4 end mill holders for 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 and a set of end mills from I think 1/4 in. to 1 in., in 1/8 increments.....that doesn't look right though. Haven't looked at Brownell's for dove tail cutters and other such gunsmith specific cutters.

It had a 1/2 in. drill chuck in the taper and evidently it had never been removed since the machine was new in 2012. The draw bar came loose easy but not the chuck in the taper. A lot of penetrating oil and judicious tapping finally got it loose and out. For about 1/2 hour I was getting a bit concerned I might not be able to get it loose. Once out, everything proved slick and shiny.

I had run a lathe in tech school so when I got it I wasn't completely ignorant. This mill thing is ALL new to me!!

Reactions: WBF

· Registered
13,838 Posts
Get some tool steel, and you can make your own cherries for bullet moulds! Boy Howdy, that could open up some new horizons! If NEI or whomever doesn't make what you want/need for one of those European headscratchers you dote on, you could just make one......

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kinda WBF. I have some tooling on the way but having it and knowing what to do with it are a long way apart!!!! There's lots of good books out there and I learn pretty good on my own.

Glenn, Accurate Molds has such a huge selection and Tom will make any bullet mold to your specs for a C note and more often than not you get it in a week to 10 days. If I knew what I was doing I couldn't do it for that. That and he is a great guy to work with. I wonder, could a cherry be made on a lathe? I've had a lathe for several years now. I could turn some of those copper bullets CamoSaugling is so fond of...if they worked any better than cast and I knew anything about copper and metallurgy.

· Registered
13,838 Posts
That's the way NEI used to be, when the original owner had it, Vic. If you couldn't find a mould you liked in his HUGE catalog, then he'd be happy to make a cherry for you and build you whatever you wanted, using whatever "metal" you wished, to drop it whatever diameter you wanted, AND supply the top punch for your lubrisizor, too. I bought a couple of his moulds, and they were super-easy to work with, using RCBS handles, they had a huge, thick sprue plate, and worked wonderfully well. I loaned them to a guy in Wyoming, and he's still using them with satisfaction.

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Couldn't have said it any better Glenn. I only have one NEI mold and I don't know how a fella could have asked for more. I got mine back in the late 80's, early 90's and I couldn't tell you how many bullets I've cast with it...or how many deer I took with that bullet and the half dozen or so hogs, elk...well, everything I killed for 12 years with my 45-90 Shiloh. After 30+ years shooting game with jacketed and what was premium bullets back then I wanted to give cast bullets a thorough workout. I'd say that qualified and they kill every bit as good as any jacketed bullet, premium or not, that I've used.

Tom will make your molds out of aluminum, iron or brass, whichever you prefer. I didn't mention that. I don't remember that he will vary the dimensions for your alloy, I think they're all for either Lyman #2 or wheelweight. Those two are pretty close in BHN so I never worried about the slight difference.

Vise and end mill holders arrived today! Waiting on clamping kit and end mills!!

Edit: I did look at Little Machine Shop. Yea...lots of cool stuff!

Reactions: wingman

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.....and the end mills arrived yesterday. Now I can make some chips!!!! (and I did!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.