Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a Guy on T.V. filleting trout and he was cutting out the little hair bones on each side :confused: I've never had a problem eating these.Do you Guys worry about them?

oneshot
:D The Big Grin eats Hide,Head,Guts and all.

·
Registered
69,536 Posts
I've always found it easier to cook them whole and remove the backbone along with the ribs together. But I'd put trout on a list just above carp.........JMO..:)

·
Lunch break commander
8,340 Posts
one the smaller ones I never worry about them but on the bigger ones they can get anoying

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Why in the world would anyone fillet a trout?

Like MM they are pretty low on my list of yummy fish---unless they are smoked then they crowd no1 pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I dont worry about them either. As long as trout are not froze and fried up fresh I think they are pretty tasty.

·
Registered
494 Posts
One Shot my ole grandpappy used to always say-sometimes-the closer to the bone-the sweeter the meat?

·
Registered
14,243 Posts
Hatchery trout are far down the list. Native brook trout on the other hand are in the top five of tasty fish.

·
Registered
69,536 Posts
Originally posted by DADAKOTA
Hatchery trout are far down the list. Native brook trout on the other hand are in the top five of tasty fish.
Specially if you are in the mountains of Montana like I was back in 1992.

·
Registered
14,243 Posts
Or the backwoods of upper Michigan as I was every summer for about 10 years growing up.:eek:

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
or the cold creeks of pennsylvania:cheers:

i love trout over any other fish in the world. i'm probably one of the few people that go to red lobster, and order rainbow trout:D

i have never filleted a trout in my life.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Trout is good eating if you dont try all that baking with lemon and crap. Gutem, skin em, rmove fins and head.. Roll the whole fish in egg, and then in finely smashed crackers, then drop in hot grease. The meat will just fall off the bone with no work after cooked. :wave:

·
Registered
21,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I can catch Trout pretty rugular on the river so thats what I'm cooking.Just thinking of different ways of fixing them.Most time just fry them up Heads and all or Bake them the same.

oneshot
:D The Big grin just boils Crappie.:stirpot:

·
Registered
32,187 Posts
I fillet my trout. Just makes it eaiser to deal with when preparing to cook. I remove any rib bones let in the fillet. We like to deep fry our trout! We used to bar-b-q them, but have gotten away from the recently.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
I just rip the sides off and don't worry about those little bones. Just score them up and you won't have to worry about them.

If you guys don't like trout, you aint fixing it right or something because I rank it just below crappie. :cheers:

If you get tired of frying and want something different that's pretty good, take your fillets and cover them in butter, lemon pepper, and garlic salt and a slice of bacon. Grill them for a few minutes till fish is flaky and then broil for a few minutes to crisp the bacon. :rock:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I like chads recipe too. i just fillet mine though. its just my gig. fillet, dip, crushed crackers and the final swim. :superman:

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Fillet em... Roll em i nLousiana fish batter (hot & spicy is my fave)...
Cook em up!!
Awesome!!:drunk:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Originally posted by oneshot 1
I was watching a Guy on T.V. filleting trout and he was cutting out the little hair bones on each side :confused: I've never had a problem eating these.Do you Guys worry about them?

oneshot
:D The Big Grin eats Hide,Head,Guts and all.
We fillet some and leave others whole (minus head). If I fillet them, I usually cut out the "belly-bones", just like I would a bass, bluegill, etc. It seems more palatable to my wife when I fillet, but in many cases you lose a fair amount of meat, even when done pretty close to perfect.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts