Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Figerd id give my 2 sence on the Hornady 300 sabots combo packadge.

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  rangerdvr 
#1 ·
Id figer id give my opinion on the Hornady sabots 50 caliber the 44-300 HP/XTP They come 20 in a box has projectile and the plastic sabot in one box.

I have seen a few ppl make mention of these on the site resently. Main reason every one is having a acuracy problem with them is the plastic sabot part is not the proper sabot for the projectile diamiter. The bullet is suposto sit flush to the botom of the sabot. If you look closly at them when you put the bulet in the sabot and press it wont sit flush with out opening the wings. Hold tight on the wings and you canot sit the bullet flush to bottom.

That space of air betwen sabot and projectile wont be the same every time and thus the inconsistency in your paterns using those sabots with the bulets.

I got a 9 inch group with 3 shots with the barowed barel for teh encore at 25 yards.

#3 ·
If one was going to buy the jackets seperate why not buy the projectile in the 100 count box as well for 22 bucks?

#5 ·
Longbow26

The bullet is suposto sit flush to the botom of the sabot. If you look closly at them when you put the bulet in the sabot and press it wont sit flush with out opening the wings. Hold tight on the wings and you canot sit the bullet flush to bottom.

That space of air betwen sabot and projectile wont be the same every time and thus the inconsistency in your paterns using those sabots with the bulets.
The fit you describe is exactly the way they are built and the way the way it is suppose to fit so that both a .429 and .430 bullet can be fit into the sabot.

What you can not see is what happens when you push the load down the bore. The polymere stretches and thins and conforms to the bore and the bullet is then pushed all the way to the bottom of the sabot. There wil be no air gap when it is loaded and seated on the powder.

The real big thing is to make sure that it is properly seated on the powder.

The other part of the combination is when you shoot the pressure causes the the sabot to 'obterate' - this seals the sabot against the bore and forces the bullet to push back against the sabot.

If you want to check this - remove the breech plug and push the combination all the way through. When you get to the breech push it out slowly so it does not come apart. Then you will be able to see how the whole thing conforms to the bullet and the bore.

If you were able to push the load down with a consistent and firm pressure you may not want the Crush Rib - it is a thinner sabot and will leak gases if it is not put in a tight bore. If it was a struggle to get the load combination down then you should look at the 'crush rib'

#7 ·
The black sabot by hornady that will take the 45 .452 diamiter 240 and 300 grain bulets, then you put teh 2 together the bulet seats firmly flat to the bottom of the platic with out forcing the wings apart. acuracy with those is 4 inches at same distance.

#9 ·
[rquote=1514968&tid=105625&author=sabotloader]Longbow26

The bullet is suposto sit flush to the botom of the sabot. If you look closly at them when you put the bulet in the sabot and press it wont sit flush with out opening the wings. Hold tight on the wings and you canot sit the bullet flush to bottom.

The fit you describe is exactly the way they are built and the way the way it is suppose to fit so that both a .429 and .430 bullet can be fit into the sabot.

What you can not see is what happens when you push the load down the bore. The polymere stretches and thins and conforms to the bore and the bullet is then pushed all the way to the bottom of the sabot. There wil be no air gap when it is loaded and seated on the powder.

The real big thing is to make sure that it is properly seated on the powder.

The other part of the combination is when you shoot the pressure causes the the sabot to 'obterate' - this seals the sabot against the bore and forces the bullet to push back against the sabot.

If you want to check this - remove the breech plug and push the combination all the way through. When you get to the breech push it out slowly so it does not come apart. Then you will be able to see how the whole thing conforms to the bullet and the bore.

If you were able to push the load down with a consistent and firm pressure you may not want the Crush Rib - it is a thinner sabot and will leak gases if it is not put in a tight bore. If it was a struggle to get the load combination down then you should look at the 'crush rib'

[/rquote]

I was thinking the same thing sabotloader. I'm glad I waited to post my thought till after I ate dinner and fed the dogs. Saved on my typing time.....:2thumbsup:

I might add that I bought a box of 300 gr XTP MAG and matched them up with the Harvester Crush Ribbed sabot and found them OK in the grouping department but wasn't 100% satisfied with the groups. The Crush Ribbed sabot was pretty loose fitting when I loaded it. I could take my fingers and push it into the muzzle even without the starting ball. I think I will pick up a package of the black ones and give the two a test to see which ones will group the best.

#10 ·
[rquote=1515106&tid=105625&author=TrackerCasey]I can group 3 touching with at 100 yards with the .452 SST w/ the black sabot and 85 grains of 777[/rquote]

I like those SST's!!!:cheers::wave:

#11 ·
[rquote=1515514&tid=105625&author=FiremanBrad][rquote=1515106&tid=105625&author=TrackerCasey]I can group 3 touching with at 100 yards with the .452 SST w/ the black sabot and 85 grains of 777[/rquote]

I like those SST's!!!:cheers::wave:[/rquote]

Yep.....just bough another box of 50 at BP in Springfield last Sunday. All I need now is the Harvesters.

#13 ·
I use the .452 300 gr XTP(non mag) with a short black MMP sabot over 90 grains of BH209 out of my Knight Disc Extreme and get 1 1/2" or less groups at 100 yds all day long.They also do a number on deer.I have heard good things about the harvester sabots too.I buy my bullets in the 50 box and the sabots come in 50 bags too.

#14 ·
300gr xtp black mmp sabot 110gr triple se7en less than 2" group at 100yds, now i will agree with those slugs you pictured, i had horrible problems with em, matter of fact i bought 2 boxes of em and was sooo dissapointed with them i mailed the unopened box to someone on here catmech maybe??

#15 ·
I also shoot a TC encore Muzzleloader. I shoot 150 grains of 777 pellets, and a 250 gr, TC shockwave bonded sabot bullet. They have the blue or yellow plastic tip(spire point). I shoot great groups of less than a 1 1/2 inches off a bench at 100 yards. Best of luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.