Fertilizer question

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by pcdreams, May 14, 2018 at 2:54 PM.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams New Member

Monday
    He guys, relatively new to fertilizer stuff. I do know what the NPK numbers are and that each number is per hundred pound. What I'm trying to figure is how to get up to recommendation from the soil test results.

So I'm planting buckwheat and recommendations are 20-40-20. So I could go with something like 200/acre but I'm still going to be lacking in P. Looking for suggestions. Would I be better off going with mixing different fertilizers?

Don

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    This is going to depend on what the analysis is for the fertilzer you choose. It would be easy if you could find a bagged fertilizer that has an NPK ratio of 1:2:1
    How many acres are you needing to treat?

3. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I usually but my N, P, K separate when I have specific targets I need to hit, like from soil tests. When I'm just fertilizing a crop, like fall plantings or corn, I buy the premixed bags that address generally what the crop needs.

That ratio you need might be found premixed, like rat said. Worth looking to save some work in the field.

If buying separate, I spread separate. I don't mix the components in the spreader, as it won't be done evenly.

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Depending on the crop, generally you will want to hit the N number as close as you can. P and K are much more variable in the value they bring UNLESS you have an extreme deficiency. In many cases, P&K deficiencies are borne of poor soil pH which can tie them up in insoluble forms... which in many cases will be addressed by liming considerations over time.

I say all this because if you have a small area and do not want to get a custom blend, dont worry if the ratios of a bagged fertilizer are not exactly right. Just get as close to that ratio as you can and pay attention to the right amount of nitrogen... especially if you are planting a grass crop.

pcdreams likes this.
  5. pcdreams

pcdreams New Member

Monday
    Just an acre.. actually slightly less.
    I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to go with a pre-mix or if anyplace still mixes

6. pcdreams

pcdreams New Member

Monday
    I'm wondering where you find something like that. Are you going with bone/blood meal that sort of thing? I've not seen anything locally that I could get individual components like that, though I haven't tried MFA.

7. pcdreams

pcdreams New Member

Monday
    I do need to Lime as well. That was my next question. Having a difficult time find ENM value on bagged lime.

8. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    You won't find it at box stores. Need to look at turf specialty stores, farm stores, etc.

pcdreams likes this.
  9. Broken Bear

Broken Bear Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    S.E. Missouri
    Hey PC http://www.ncagr.gov/cyber/kidswrld/plant/label.htm ..go here and copy and paste ...it is a simplified explanation of bagged fertilizer ...I am throwing it out there just as a reference PLUS ...the soil tests I use tell you in pounds of N,P,K per acre ....a 50 pound bag of "fertilizer" has a surprisingly small amount by weight of the NPK ...so study up ...any way you go on the LIME ...it will be 12/18 months before what you do now can really prep the soil balance wise so that the nutrients can really be utilized by the plants
    Happy plotting
    Bear