Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two fields that were planted in corn two years ago. We didn't get fertilizer down, yet it grew. This year we are in the process of planting again, but want to get fertilizer in the ground.

Soil is good river bottom ground, what would you all recommend for a good dry fertilizer to put down. Looking for something middle of the road for yield, and maybe not break the bank.

remind you we are not planting for profit or high yield, we just need some corn to grow a little better than it did last time.

Thoughts?

· Banned
81,617 Posts
How will you apply ? How large of an area ? We use a pasture fertilizer in a bag on our small plots we want more nitrogen on (corn , brassicas,wheat) . It's like 18-5-5 or something like that.

· Deplorable member
10,721 Posts
also, when referring to application amounts of fertilizer, the actual amounts of N P or K need to be calculated. It doesnt mean weight of the product applied. 13-13-13 for instance are the percentages. 100 lbs of fertilizer will only give you 13 lbs each of N, P and K

· Under appreciated
93,230 Posts
also, when referring to application amounts of fertilizer, the actual amounts of N P or K need to be calculated. It doesnt mean weight of the product applied. 13-13-13 for instance are the percentages. 100 lbs of fertilizer will only give you 13 lbs each of N, P and K
Correct. The majic number of ACTUAL N in front of corn is 150-200#/A

· Registered
20,364 Posts
I've raised decent corn adding zero nitrogen but planting behind 2 years of clover and utilizing the nitrogen it affixed. View attachment 130397
Is two years of clover plots about the right amount of time to follow up with a corn plot? I've got some larger plots I'm thinking of planting corn in this year. They've been in clover going on 5 yrs ....

· Under appreciated
93,230 Posts
I've raised decent corn adding zero nitrogen but planting behind 2 years of clover and utilizing the nitrogen it affixed. View attachment 130397
You get anywhere from a 30-60#/A nitrogen credit after soybeans, depending on how many previous bean crops you have had.
I should mention that my 150-200#actual number is for production corn combined with an effective pre-emergent herbicide system. For food plots you dont need that... you arent trying to make grain to sell.

· Under appreciated
93,230 Posts
Is two years of clover plots about the right amount of time to follow up with a corn plot? I've got some larger plots I'm thinking of planting corn in this year. They've been in clover going on 5 yrs ....
Yes, you will get a N credit so I wouldnt be afraid to cut what I would normally apply in half. :02:

Reactions: WBF

· Banned
81,617 Posts
You get anywhere from a 30-60#/A nitrogen credit after soybeans, depending on how many previous bean crops you have had.
I should mention that my 150-200#actual number is for production corn combined with an effective pre-emergent herbicide system. For food plots you dont need that... you arent trying to make grain to sell.
I agree. I mentioned that because he said they weren't planting for profit or high yield. Thought he might want to consider a rotation system if he has 2 fields to reduce fertilizer cost in the future.

Reactions: rat
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.