Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
just a no body
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called the local MFA about some 6-24-24 and they had some for $20 per 50#. WEll I took my time but dropped by today no more 6-24-24 but they just got in some 9-24-24 yea ok whatever,, that seemed odd from the get go . 5 bags $132.

I'm not nor ever have been a big fan of MFA but any other store ( Rickets or Fayette Co-op) is abit of a pull in my PU..cant wait to see what triple 13 goes for later in the year

·
Biology nit wit exposer
79,930 Posts
If you went to Moberly MFA you were only 6 miles from the Cairo branch of Ricketts.

Reactions: beanpile

·
Under appreciated
86,507 Posts
bulk fertilizer prices are commodity and demand driven, obviously.

There will be some lag with prices on bagged stuff depending on where you go and what you get but the same principle applies, generally.

A lot depends on either when you lock in or walk in

·
Registered
69,227 Posts
You wanted 6-24-24 for $100. All they had was 9-24-24 for $132. Seems reasonable to me when you are getting 1/3 more Nitrogen per bag. Sort of similar to wanting Regular gas but they were out and you had to pay the extra for the Premium tankful unless you could wait for the tanker to arrive to bring more Regular.

·
just a no body
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I certainly am in no position to buy in bulk or "lock in" with my measly requirements so yea I'm a walk in but it goes without saying my clover is getting a 50% decrease on what it's used to and I will certainly see what my options are with the new info that Todd supplied me.

·
just a no body
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You wanted 6-24-24 for $100. All they had was 9-24-24 for $132. Seems reasonable to me when you are getting 1/3 more Nitrogen per bag. Sort of similar to wanting Regular gas but they were out and you had to pay the extra for the Premium tankful unless you could wait for the tanker to arrive to bring more Regular.
being that it was for clover the N part is really the least of my needs.. I found out the hard way that you snooze or you lose with many things anymore so I jus took what I could get..still hurts and I'll wait n see while being hopeful the triple 13 is not out of sight.. with your logic it should be about $50 per bag..enjoy ferting your turnpips and WW lol

·
Registered
69,227 Posts
I'm totally dumb when it comes to fertilizer choices especially when it comes to when or if any is needed. I just try to mimic members choices here and it's a roll of the dice for me if anything green sprouts. Good luck with your food plot.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Did you price it anywhere else? If you haven't been paying attention most things have gone up and fertilizer hasn't been immune to it either. Just ask the guys that are running NH3. Not really sure why you acted like you got took at your local exchange if you didn't bother to price it anywhere else.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
I'm totally dumb when it comes to fertilizer choices especially when it comes to when or if any is needed. I just try to mimic members choices here and it's a roll of the dice for me if anything green sprouts. Good luck with your food plot.
A soil test is only around $20 and will give you fertilizer recommendations for up to 3 different crops. Well worth it and actually can save you some $$

·
13,360 Posts
I remeber a few years back when I was working at Lowe's lawn fertilzer almost doubled one year

US Wholesale Fertilizer Prices Seen Rising on Tight Supplies, Strong Demand

2/12/2021 | 5:10 AM CST

AddThis Sharing Buttons

DAP barge commodity prices basis New Orleans, Louisiana, (NOLA) skyrocketed in January, motivated by strong demand and few available volumes given how slammed U.S. producers have been from fall 2020 onward and the mostly nonexistent imports from Morocco and Russia from the second half of 2020 to today. (Chart courtesy of Fertecon, Agribusiness Intelligence, IHS Markit)

By Logan Garcia, Market Reporter - Fertecon, Agribusiness Intelligence, IHS Markit

The following is a breakdown of wholesale prices and trends of the various fertilizers in January and first two weeks of February 2021.

AMMONIA

Domestic:

Following a trend in the second half of 2020, U.S. anhydrous ammonia prices continued to rise in January as supplies remain tight. Recovery for industrial ammonia consumption continues as chemical production adapts to COVID-19 challenges that contributed to restricting available volumes for agricultural use, as well plant outages and turnaround around the globe. OCI Beaumont, for example, will be down for scheduled maintenance for approximately two weeks from the last week of January.

A higher Tampa settlement for February reflects strong fundamentals on most nitrogen sources in the U.S. following urea's early year rally, steadily rising UAN values and incremental increases in agricultural ammonia prices. Illinois spring ammonia prices rose to $460 per short ton (t) by the end of January from earlier offers at $425-$430 after the higher Tampa announcement. Meanwhile, markets in the Eastern Corn Belt pulled offers from $415-$430/t and did not reoffer at higher values until the following week.

Plant prices ex-factory in Oklahoma before the higher Tampa settlement were at $275-$285/t prompt and $320-$325 for spring pull. while spring prices at Port Neal, Iowa, were reported at $415/t in mid-January. Prices at both plants reflect a $15-$25/t increase from initial prepay offers in December.

Many plants and markets had actually pulled their pricing at the same time, and some waited up to several days to reoffer, as a major jump in the urea and phosphate prices brought further chaos to the fertilizer market at the end of January.

In the short term, overall, we expect U.S. ammonia prices to stay firm given strong global fundamentals, including higher seasonal feedstock costs in natural gas and continued supportive demand.

International:

Yara and Mosaic agreed on a price for February of $330 per metric ton (mt) cost-and-freight (CFR) Tampa -- up $60 on the $270 CFR agreed at the end of December for January shipments and exceeding expectations of a price around $300 CFR. The settlement followed purchases for Nutrien, buying around 15,000 t Trinidadian ammonia from Koch, and a 40,000-ton purchase by Koch from Algeria, indicating demand in the U.S. for ammonia is exceeding available supply.

The Baltic ammonia contract price shot higher in January from $212-$214/mt FOB (free on board -- the buyer pays for transportation of the goods) in December to $228-$275/mt and was expected to settle higher yet for February as negotiations were still under way at the end of January. The Black Sea FOB price also rose roughly $50 from the previous month's achieved transactions to $268-$275/mt prior to the $60 increase at Tampa so increases are likely due in this region as well.

Nutrien announced late in the month that it halted production on its other large, approximately 650,000-mt-per-year plant in Trinidad for "an extended period" due to mechanical issues. With this and its September 2020 decision to indefinitely close its other large line at Point Lisas, Nutrien now has more than 50% of its ammonia production capacity in Trinidad down, a sign that ammonia prices will likely continue to rise on greater import needs from an increasingly tight global market.

In the short term, we see global ammonia prices as firm in both the Eastern and Western hemispheres, with supply tight and demand rising.

UREA

Domestic:

New Orleans, Louisiana, (NOLA) urea prices skyrocketed in January to $329-$365/t FOB as spring prepay demand kicked off early in 2021 as record U.S. farm incomes in 2020 motivated early purchases, well over $100/t higher than where trades ended in December. As soon as traders returned from the holidays, barges began trading hands and were quickly depleted given relatively weak demand to end 2020 and increased export sales in the same period, leaving domestic stocks lower.

·
just a no body
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you price it anywhere else? If you haven't been paying attention most things have gone up and fertilizer hasn't been immune to it either. Just ask the guys that are running NH3. Not really sure why you acted like you got took at your local exchange if you didn't bother to price it anywhere else.
your reading comprehension is pretty bad.. i never said or insinuated "I got Took" and I freely admitted I didn't shop around just went to where I always went.. just shocked at the increase is all.

·
Vendor
61,866 Posts
your reading comprehension is pretty bad.. i never said or insinuated "I got Took" and I freely admitted I didn't shop around just went to where I always went.. just shocked at the increase is all.
Did you price bulk? Maybe an mwter close needs a cart and could spare some?

·
just a no body
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hawk I have no use for "bulk" and my plots are small & access is highly limited

·
Vendor
61,866 Posts
hawk I have no use for "bulk" and my plots are small & access is highly limited
Thats why I asked if maybe you could share with someone. I have bought fert from our farmers way cheaper than bagged and put it in 5 gallon buckets. Just trying to help

·
just a no body
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats why I asked if maybe you could share with someone. I have bought fert from our farmers way cheaper than bagged and put it in 5 gallon buckets. Just trying to help
you make a valid suggestion..might have to look into that

·
4,549 Posts
They also know that every farmer out there is getting CFAP, COVID stimulus, whip payments etc from the federal govt so they jack up the price of inputs.
The price of fuel goes up and so does fertlizer. I have put on 60-40-40, 50-30-30, 40-10-10-10, and will probably have to cut way back this year 30-5-5?

·
Vendor
61,866 Posts
you make a valid suggestion..might have to look into that
If you do this either buy lids or drive slow. Scooping spilled fert is a PITA...:D

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you didn't insinuate it then there was no reason to say "I'm not nor ever have been a big fan of MFA " -had nothing to do with the price you paid for fertilizer.

·
1,087 Posts
My local MFA let's me get a couple hundred pounds of fert or lime in the back of my pickup or on my trailer. Great for accessing all my timbers plots. Beats buying it by the bag and I get it mixed how I want it which usually contain little to no nitrogen.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts