Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Feel fortunate

4977 Views 70 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  henry
Considering the conditions we have had to fight this year we have decent plots in progress.

Corn was notilled with a conventional planter because we had seed and too much moisture to till with a rapidly closing window of opportunity.

Beans were planted in ground that was disked too wet but had been packed so badly with the heavy rains we couldnt get seed coverage by trying to notill with a conventional planter.

The clover has just had a dream year so far with the temps and rain fall we have had.

We have 5 acres of corn. 5 acres of beans now. Planted another acre yesterday. 4 acres of the second year clover and 3 acres of the new crop clover.

Second year clover is rank and weedy but healthy and being browsed heavy. I watched a doe feed a fawn and then leave it in the clover this morning . New crop is exceptional because of conditions. It too has not been mown yet but is healthy and being utilized.

Now if the rest of the season will just be kind.
Sky Plant Green Terrestrial plant Land lot
Sky Plant Natural landscape Road surface Tree
Plant Flower Sky Natural landscape Natural environment
Plant Plant community Green Natural landscape Tree
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
our Clover is what I dreamed of ..much like your bottom pic except a mix of Aslike and the Crimson came back in good form from last years drought. Have seen Fawns bedded so that got me to wait a few more weeks to mow it.. 1 good rain a week would be nice but I need it to dry just a smidge..so I can grade out the washed up roads
Reactions: 1
Looks good henry. It's going to be a shame when you have to bulldoze it all under and start over. Not that anything is wrong with it the way it is, but since Hawk has surely convinced you, you have to do more habitat work. ;)
It all looks primo to me, strong work..
Looks good old man.
Beans are off to a good start, and fenced in @ 2/3rds of them. The jungle plots are as well. I'm curious how that sorghum, cow pea, buckwheat and bean blend fares. With some timely rains and it should be a good year.
Looks good old man.
Beans are off to a good start, and fenced in @ 2/3rds of them. The jungle plots are as well. I'm curious how that sorghum, cow pea, buckwheat and bean blend fares. With some timely rains and it should be a good year.
So far its been a good year to grow a jungle. :D
Reactions: 3
I can't lie, I like deer chores/farming as much as hunting.... Almost.
Reactions: 2
I can't lie, I like deer chores/farming as much as hunting.... Almost.
I know exactly what you mean. I like the habitat and food plot work way more than I would have suspected when I started doing it all those years ago.
Looks good henry. It's going to be a shame when you have to bulldoze it all under and start over. Not that anything is wrong with it the way it is, but since Hawk has surely convinced you, you have to do more habitat work. ;)
I dont think I ever suggested that he do that. What I said was that if he thinks his turkey production is lower than it should be then he needs to improve or change his habitat. I understand exactly what hes doing and what he is thinking. Hes one that doesnt acknowledge what are called "opportunity costs". His focus is deer but he wants to complain about turkeys. He wants corn and beans but doesnt want it to impact his turkey production. If he were to take say half of his timber and log and aggressively thin it he would have more turkeys and deer, but he likes the big tall mature trees and wide open corn and bean plots so that he can sit and wait for deer to show up.Hes more concerned with them than having more turkeys.
Ahh yes. The magic crystal ball . Haha

By that people I mean hawk doesnt know where my farm is and has never seen the habitat. He only imagines.
Ahh yes. The magic crystal ball . Haha

By that people I mean hawk doesnt know where my farm is and has never seen the habitat. He only imagines.
What part of "mature forest are not good habitat for turkeys" and "spring planted bean and corn fields are biological wastelands" is confusing??

There is no need to get all butt hurt because you want to manage for ease of deer hunting and whine about not having turkeys....
I understand more about habitat than you ever will hawk. You prove that every time you make up a habitat diagnosis. Haha
I understand more about habitat than you ever will hawk. You prove that every time you make up a habitat diagnosis. Haha
That would be difficult considering what youve stated on here.....
The funny thing is, you may have before yo met me but youve regressed tremendously since that point. You thought wheat was great for producing more turkeys before you met me. You stated trapping on small acres in MO wouldnt work until you met me....
Another indicator he is an idiot. Doesnt know the difference between "like ' , "attract" and produce. Lol. He is Clueless and has no understanding of the difference between the way I farmed wheat on small fields and what the average production wheat field is like. Haha
I saw a hen with A Poult yesterday..HAPPY DAYS!
I saw a hen with A Poult yesterday..HAPPY DAYS!
How big ? You are covered up.
Another indicator he is an idiot. Doesnt know the difference between "like ' , "attract" and produce. Lol. He is Clueless and has no understanding of the difference between the way I farmed wheat on small fields and what the average production wheat field is like. Haha
Plenty of bugs and weeds in production wheat. Thats why its such good brooding for turkeys and pheasants.
Product Font Screenshot Material property Software
Plant Grass Cotton Walking shoe Groundcover
Plant Plant community Automotive tire Beak Terrestrial animal
See less See more
What are those pictures of besides a hen that was hit on a nest by a mower ?
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.