Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feeding deer in my backyard for a couple weeks now. I see about fifteen deer and six turkeys regularly.

They can put away the corn. I doubt a fifty pound bag would last two days. I would like to make a fifty pound bag last at least a week.

So, would you rather throw the entire bag out at once or spread it out over seven to ten days? If I put out just a few pounds the does and fawns eat it up before the bigger bucks are out. If I put out more the bucks are more likely to get a chance to feed, but it gets a bit expensive.

Maybe the answer is an automatic feeder?

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,689 Posts
Timed automatic feeder. Put a cam on it and broadcast the pics 24/7. We'll all thank you for it.
Seriously, I found when I threw "scratch" instead of just corn, I got more variety of critters feeding. Maybe try that?

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Feed about a water bucket a day if ya don't have a feeder. Everything in the neighborhood will come to get a share. Put it out in the evening.

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,689 Posts
The scratch I get around here is cracked corn, with oats and wheat. I think it varies by region.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
On the cob is what I prefer. Just sayin':cheers:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1560103&tid=108505&author=hoboheaven]On the cob is what I prefer. Just sayin':cheers:[/rquote]

A couple years ago I brought some ears of sweet corn and field corn home from grandpa's farm. Some to keep and some to give away. A friend asked for some corn to cook for dinner that night so I gave him a few ears field corn and told him to boil it up. He comes back the next day and tells me he boiled it for hours and it wouldn't cook right.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Ya don't need to mix the corn with anything 'less ya just want to draw more critters.

Move away a few yards and creat a salt lick. In a few months the bucks will be there during the night.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't want critters. ***** and opossums don't interest me at all.

I have a game block out and it is being eaten slowly, but they are working on it. So adding a salt block or two be a good idea? For the price it couldn't hurt.

I always assumed feed blocks would be more effective than salt blocks. Do deer like salt blocks for the flavor/treat or does it offer some nutritional value?

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I don't like blocks at all. Just mix rock salt and 2-1 with stock salt and pour it on the ground and spade it into the dirt.

There are a lot of recipes around. You might find one you favor more. The secret is to mix the material into the dirt.

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
Yep, the deer seem to like digging in the dirt for salt and minerals, but I think a block of salt is good for starting a lick just to get them to notice it. If I were to start a lick from scratch, it'd be a 50lb. bag of trace mineral salt, 50lb. of Manna Pro minerals, a 50lb. block of regular salt, and 2 boxes of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. You can get everything at Feldman's except the washing soda, which is at Price Chopper.

I like to have my salt/mineral lick fairly close to the corn pile. The deer behind our house in Independence started coming in for the corn, but they keep coming back for the mineral lick even when there's no corn out there for weeks.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
[rquote=1560456&tid=108505&author=SOMOHUNTER][rquote=1560066&tid=108505&author=citybowhunter]i think a feeder with a timer on it is the answer. [/rquote]x2 for sure[/rquote]

X3

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have had a camera in my back yard since the end of rifle season. I have been getting 100-140 pictures per night and yes, I have been feeding some corn. I just take about 1/4-1/2 of a gallon of corn, and spread it around. They pick at it from the time the sun goes down until the sun comes up. I used to have my automatic feeder there, but have since moved it to another location. I still like to see the deer in the back yard, so I just throw out a little corn. A 50 pound bag will last a long time that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.