Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
put out a feeder next to a mineral lick two weeks ago. i was getting pictures of alot of bucks and does before i put the feeder out. Had the camera out and checked it, had no new pics on it. the feed was still in the feeder untouched. why do you guys think this is?

·
5,632 Posts
Maybe they got spooked with activity in the area?

·
Registered
961 Posts
i have put feeders up on our land to see if i could get some good pics, ive got a couple pics of them eating it off the ground but never in the feeder. and ive learned they eat very very little of it (whole corn). we dont have any corn fields close to our house. there just not interested in it at all. ive kept corn in it all summer and all i mainly get is squirrel pics.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
maybe the deer rather eat some good grass??? i would use some sweetfeed instead of corn.
the feeder might been loud and scared the deer.
i dont use feeders if im going to do anything with feed i will dump it in a pile. cracked corn on the other hand i will spread it out around 10'x10' for the quial.
i would pull out the feeder and just dump the feed in a pile. get them use to the new feed then put out the feeder. you never know the sound might scare them, they not used to feed, or the whole set up feeder might spook them.
ive seen a nice buck run away from an armordillo. so they are easily scared.
good luck on the pics.
i need a trial cam so bad!

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
I agree with bowkill. I've watched feeding deer run when my feeder went off to not return that evening. I made my own feeder after that. 55 gallon barrell. Just above where the bottom touches the ground, I drilled a 2" hole on each side. Free choice. They feed when they want & don't get scared. I don't have to worry about tromping in there all the time either.

Keep in mind what a deer eats. My experience shows deer prefer green browse in the summer & corn late in the summer early fall. I've got 3 acres of corn planted right now, looked yesterday, no sign of deer damage to the corn. My soybeans however, are a different story. Clover is also getting hit a lot.

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have corn, sweetfeed,antlermaxx,and soybean meal in there. It is a 55 gallon drum hanging from a tree with a pvc pipe run down into a catch pan about 2-3 feet off the ground so the ***** dont get into it. so no noise. who knows its always something with deer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.