Federal Premium Heavyweight

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by Rebel2, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Anyone used this stuff?

For the most part I shy away from Federal because in my experience they are a dirtier burning shell.

But, I saw some on sale for a 169 for a case of it which aint bad compared to what it normally sells for (300ish a case).

Thought I might pick up a case, but hoping someone out there has tried it before?

[file]145478[/file]

:cheers:

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  3. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    Rebel,

That is AWSOME stuff. It is 15grams per CC. hevi-shot is 12grams per CC. Lead is 10.5-11grams per CC.

I have shot #5 at turkeys and canada geese. #5 will shoot CLEAN trough the body of a turkey at 35 yards! It will also completely MANGLE a canada goose at 40 yards. I shoot #7 in heavy weight at turkeys now, and it will kill a turkey further than you would believe.

It is the best factory ammo available by FAR in NON toxic shot....well BETTER than ANY other factory load. That is also a GREAT price.

I would say that you should go up @ 4 sizes in lead to have a good comparison to how it will perform. #4 heavyweight is about equal in performance to LEAD BB!!!!

If you have any more questions about it just ask.

thanks
    citori

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Awesome bro, thank you. Reckon im gonna order a case or two

:cheers:

5. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    You will run out of pattern density WAY WAY WAY before you run out of killing pellet energy!!!

Best I can figure the #2 heavy weight will be about like a 4buck load.

thanks
    citori

6. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  7. dnj21

dnj21 Member

Nov 15, 2007
    New Bloomfield
    I am ordering a case of 6's, curious how it will pattern. As well as the 12gr/cc Remington HD shoots, I have high hopes......

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Ordered two cases of #4's ill let uou know how they pattern.

9. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    no nead, they have the word heavy weight in them. they are awesome:D

10. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    They throw one of the prettiest patterns I have ever seen with a turkey choke. #7 had right at 200 hits in 10"circle at 40 yards and #5 had @ 150 hits in 10" circle at 40 yards. EVEN EVEN EVEN patterns! And penatration like you would not BELIEVE! The #5 will shoot plumb through a turkey at 35 yards! The #7 will kill a turkey WAY WAY FURTHER than anyone has any business shootin at a turkey.

While patterning them turkey season we saw JUST how potent they were. Our targets are on a mild steel frame at 40 yards. Lead would just nock the paint off the frame, hevi shot would make a SLIGHT ding in the steel, and heavy weight would make a CRATER in steel that looked like you threw a rock in soft mud!!! These loads were the 1300fps loads not the 1450fps loads you got. They will blow your mind on how they perform

let us know of the patterns
    citori