Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is a feed off of Fireman's "Why" thread.

Why is it that so many people refer to fawns as being yearlings? :confused:

A fawn is a fawn from the day it is born until it's first birthday, THEN it becomes a yearling.

A buttonbuck is still a fawn, it is only 6 months old during rifle season and has not reached it's first birthday yet. A 1.5 year old 6 pointer is a yearling, it has lived to see it's first birthday.

Here's another one for ya since I am discussing some of my pet peeves.

Antlers are NOT horns! Antlers are shed annually and are solid structures made of non-living bone. Horns are primarily made of keratin (and a few other proteins) that covers a core of living bone, and horns typically grow continuously on the animals head throughout the animals life.

Yes, I am :whinging: and :lame:, but I feel better now :D :innocent:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
I'm guilty...I refer to fawns as yearlings!:D:wave:

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I usaully call them tiny deers. Why is it called a Button Buck when it has 2 buttons???

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
[rquote=1496754&tid=104475&author=FiremanBrad]I'm guilty...I refer to fawns as yearlings!:D:wave:[/rquote]

I am also. I always that thought the term "yearling" referred to deer that were born this year. Color me ignorant :shrug:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
what about the word "harvest"i have never harvested any animal since i have never planted one well except a couple dogs in the yard when i was a kid.last time i checked if you shot an animal you killed it but some people are so worried about how other people are going to see it and feel. you know what it is what it is and i call it what it is.i like killin stuff nuff said

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not going to :stickfight: over it, it's not that big of a deal to me. I hear tons of stories on here and from others referring to button bucks as being yearlings, so I just thought I would take some time to help clear the mud some (because it drives me crazy :D )

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i think it's because people don't want to say they shot a fawn...yearling sounds more acceptable, and i'm guilty as well...i'll try to do better

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rquote=1496767&tid=104475&author=BILLYGOAT]what about the word "harvest"i have never harvested any animal since i have never planted one well except a couple dogs in the yard when i was a kid.last time i checked if you shot an animal you killed it but some people are so worried about how other people are going to see it and feel. you know what it is what it is and i call it what it is.i like killin stuff nuff said[/rquote]

According to the dictionary, one of the meanings of harvest is "to catch, take, or remove for use", that's what I do with deer :)

·
17,674 Posts
[rquote=1496789&tid=104475&author=BioBuck][rquote=1496767&tid=104475&author=BILLYGOAT]what about the word "harvest"i have never harvested any animal since i have never planted one well except a couple dogs in the yard when i was a kid.last time i checked if you shot an animal you killed it but some people are so worried about how other people are going to see it and feel. you know what it is what it is and i call it what it is.i like killin stuff nuff said[/rquote]

According to the dictionary, one of the meanings of harvest is "to catch, take, or remove for use", that's what I do with deer :)

:cheers:[/rquote]

I love reading your posts Bio. You crack me up.:hysterical:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[rquote=1496793&tid=104475&author=hun10][rquote=1496789&tid=104475&author=BioBuck][rquote=1496767&tid=104475&author=BILLYGOAT]what about the word "harvest"i have never harvested any animal since i have never planted one well except a couple dogs in the yard when i was a kid.last time i checked if you shot an animal you killed it but some people are so worried about how other people are going to see it and feel. you know what it is what it is and i call it what it is.i like killin stuff nuff said[/rquote]

I love reading your posts Bio. You crack me up.:hysterical:[/rquote]

Free entertainment! We should tell Whitmore he is having you, me and Lungbuster44 over for a few adult beverages, trust me, it gets better with beer!

:woot:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[rquote=1496795&tid=104475&author=curtism1234]"Harvest" plays into the "QDM" --- which I want no part of :cool3:[/rquote]

That's sad :shrug:

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
[rquote=1496807&tid=104475&author=BioBuck][rquote=1496795&tid=104475&author=curtism1234]"Harvest" plays into the "QDM" --- which I want no part of :cool3:[/rquote]

That's sad :shrug:[/rquote]

What's sad is turning hunting into big business and politics

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[rquote=1496837&tid=104475&author=curtism1234][rquote=1496807&tid=104475&author=BioBuck][rquote=1496795&tid=104475&author=curtism1234]"Harvest" plays into the "QDM" --- which I want no part of :cool3:[/rquote]

That's sad :shrug:[/rquote]

What's sad is turning hunting into big business and politics[/rquote]

I can agree with that, but at the same time I would like to think most deer hunters would care about whitetail herd dynamics and creating a healthier animal/herd and have a whitetail population that contains a reasonable sex ratio and age structure instead of just going out carelessly blasting deer.

I'm not suggesting that this is how you feel about whitetails, I am just saying that I think QDM has a place in deer hunting and like it or not, that is the direction that the deer hunting is heading.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I thought this thread was to make fun of the dumb crap us people say??? This don't have anything to do with plurals but I hear "it got broke" a lot. How does something "got broke"?:shrug:

·
17,674 Posts
[rquote=1496804&tid=104475&author=BioBuck][rquote=1496793&tid=104475&author=hun10][rquote=1496789&tid=104475&author=BioBuck][rquote=1496767&tid=104475&author=BILLYGOAT]what about the word "harvest"i have never harvested any animal since i have never planted one well except a couple dogs in the yard when i was a kid.last time i checked if you shot an animal you killed it but some people are so worried about how other people are going to see it and feel. you know what it is what it is and i call it what it is.i like killin stuff nuff said[/rquote]

I love reading your posts Bio. You crack me up.:hysterical:[/rquote]

Free entertainment! We should tell Whitmore he is having you, me and Lungbuster44 over for a few adult beverages, trust me, it gets better with beer!

:woot:[/rquote]

Heck yeah! Anytime! Im down. I was telling Whit just while ago that you are like the George Castanza of deer hunting. I love it when you get all scientific and everyone has no idea what you are talking about. Its therapy to me. From one teacher to another......thank you!:2thumbsup::hysterical:

·
27,514 Posts
I stand corrected.

I thought a yearling was an animal within its first year of life. So a yearling is acctually in its second year of life? Learn something new every day.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts