Favorite Tube/jig combo for crappie

Discussion in 'Pan Fish' started by Crappie, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

I paint the lead with bright orange and use a red/chart. tube. Sometime use the white/chart tube. I met a old man down in Ms. and he called the white/chart the Missouri Mul. And I said why, he said nothing works harder than a Mo. mule......

2. I just bought a four wheeler the other day and if you keep talking about crappie fishing im gonna feel even worse about not buying a boat. Your starting to give me the fever and i aint never really ever been. I sure wish that turkey season would hurry up so i could quit thinking about crappie fishing.

chad

3. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

Sorry bud. Like you turkey hunting ,I'm eat up with it...

4. Im getting eat up about going now. I get the fever every year when i start hearing about them big ole slabs. But with this crazy job i have trouble getting a minute offf during march and april. But hopefully during the first week of turkey season i can try and catch some while im on vacation.

chad

5. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

We did really good last year fishin off the banks up around state park early.

6. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

Back to tube color...

7. Sorry for hi jacking your thread.
    chad:smiley:

8. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Blue Body with White tail, Pull the body over the head and poke the eyelet out = Less snags.. Now thats just me talking....:D

9. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Black and chartreuse is my favorite. I also like to have yellow and white, red and chartreuse on hand at all times. In the winter I usually use more white colors.

10. Mike911

Mike911 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    It's hard for me to pick just one so I'll give you my three favorites..... They're the exact same as Gamegetters'. I have 4 boxes full of plastic jigs and 99% of the time these are the 3 colors I'm using. I also much prefer the solid body plastic jigs to the hollow ones, they are much more durable.

11. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

Yeah. The super Jigs are solid from Crappie USA

12. Mike911

Mike911 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    I get mine from CrappiePro out of Oklahoma, they are quite a jig.

13. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    white head, black body, white tail

white head, red/silver body, white tail

red head, blue body, white tail

white head, silver body, white tail

Fish exclusively maribou jigs....

14. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    all time most specks for me caught on
    the red head white tube

also like black head char body
    and black head with blue body white tail

the old stand by is always always red head white tube.

15. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

16. Found a jig a couple years that I have been kickin' Pman's :ass: with at closeout and I'll be danged if I can't find em anymore. It was a red head, gold tinsel body w/ white maribou in 1/8th oz.. Guess I'll have to start makin' my own if I'm to continue the :ass: kickin' on Pman this year ;).

Another one I've had good luck with is a plain ol' plastic smoke colored swimin' minnow or purple on a unpainted jig head. Recently have also been usin' Panfish Assasin' plastic bait's with straight tails with moderate success as well in a smoke/red half and half on a red jig head or unpainted.

17. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Mines the same as it has been for years. In dirty to stained water; I use a Southern Pro Tube, Black-tip, Green Body, Chartruse tail.

For clear water the tube is clear, with red blue and silver flake. I'll throw a blue body with white tail sometimes in intermediate color water as a change up.

Those three colors will catch 99.9 percent of the crappie that I hook. No need to even take anything else.

It was mentioned before but to rig it I always stick the head up through the base of the tube so it is not showing. You get many less snags that way plus the bait looks better.

I usually use a 1/16 ounce head but will go up to 1/8 if it is windy.

18. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Really my favorite is...... Minners...

19. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    DSG is gonna ignore that comment as a blatant attempt to get some CHIT stirred up! (Which it is.)

:wave: :hysterical: :wave: :hysterical: :wave: :hysterical:

20. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Im using them tomorrow...:D 68 & sunny!!!:eek: