Favorite Smallmouth Lure(s)

Discussion in 'Bass' started by HabitatMD, Jun 2, 2009.

1. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    So....I don't honestly want to share my #1 lure on smalleyes, but I don't mind sharing some other goodens. I'm talking mid summer stream fishing. I normally just do wade fishing, but have been known to get in a canoe on some bigger streams.

Generally speaking, green pumpkin colored plastics do well. Plastic minnow jerk baits like bass assassins, Yamamoto senko. Senkos can be thrown in moving and slower water, minner baits for slower water.

Went to a seminar on smalleyes (outfitter on the upper Meramec) and feller said they did well on rebel craws, CD-7 (black/gold), 3/8 oz spinnerbaits (white/chartruese, gold blades if high water, silver if clear). Never really used any of these myself.

I've also found some plastic helgrimites that work fantastic in deeper runs and great for catching goggle eye as well. Just hook em up with a light jig head and "dead" float them through areas.

Man, I got to get on a smallmouth stream in the near future.

Do you have a favorite (that you want to share)?

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1283728&tid=89805&author=HabitatMD]So....I don't honestly want to share my #1 lure on smalleyes

Do you have a favorite (that you want to share)?[/rquote]

So, you wont share, but you want me to..

:stirpot::bored::shrug:

3. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Well, the ones I mentioned were some favorites at one time. Does that count? Darn good fish catchers that I already mentioned and use regularly.

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    :cheers: jus givin ya a hard i dont have a fav..

but if i did id tell you..

i look as bait as my favorite call for ducks, turkeys etc...

but i guess thats just me

:cheers:

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I never go without crawdad crankers for sure. Couple other small crankbaits I've done good with... big o for instance.

smallies will flat HAMMER chartreuse or yeller buzzbaits in the right water of an evening. Thats a ton of fun in the right area.

I'm seeing more and more kentuckys and less smallies in the places I fish.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    its hard to beat soft plastics, but top water stuff is a ball, i've done good on midgerinos (sp) baby lucky 13's, i added a small skirt to the midge front hook. craw crankers and i have one like Hab ....just cant seem to remember what it is.....:D

7. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    Hey Fishshooter tell these boyz how to catch fish in lakes and stuff:D

8. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1283786&tid=89805&author=blevely]Hey Fishshooter tell these boyz how to catch fish in lakes and stuff:D[/rquote]

who's HE gonna ask?:confused:

:D

9. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    i think my favorite all time smallie lure is a plastic grub on a 1/16 oz jig head. when all else fails, thats a great go-to lure:2thumbsup:

Hab? wont even tell us the lure, not the place to use it, just the lure ?:thinking:

must be one heckuva lure.....:shrug:

10. ad870

ad870 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    NE Arkansas
    Did good with a pop r in Canada.

11. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Tube jigs, road runners, storm wiggle worts in crawdad, but I really like to take a live nightcrawler thread it on a hook below a fixed position bullet weight and jig it thru eddys below ripples.....thats my favorite plus ya never know what ya might catch.

12. BMoeller

BMoeller Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    1/4 oz. Gold body Black tailed Roostertail (Hven't seen em in long time) Black and Gold Rapalas. Plastics as well.

13. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    [rquote=1283865&tid=89805&author=knockemdeadd]

Hab? wont even tell us the lure, not the place to use it, just the lure ?:thinking:

must be one heckuva lure.....:shrug:[/rquote]

If I see someone else say its their favorite or even mention it, I'll chime in.:roll2::wave:

14. hoboheaven

hoboheaven New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Leadbelt MO
  15. Squatch

Squatch New Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Barnhart, Mo
    Without much detail, I'll say small plastics are my go-to for big smallies. Small cranks and spinner/buzzbaits when the fish are active, but even a lethargic smallie will bite a small plastic rig if you put it in front of his face long enough.

16. kgdog

kgdog Senior Member

Fly rod --fox squirrel crawfish

spinning ---any 3-4 inch tube jig
    all time favorite for big ins only --jeffs crawling jig

17. rangerdvr

rangerdvr Senior Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    Zoom finese worm, green pumpkin, tail dipped in Chart dye, 1/8 oz jighead, rigged texas style. Chart spook for top water

18. trappersteve

trappersteve New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Zoom - Fish Doctor Soft Plastic. Watermelon Seed or Pumpkin. 1/16 oz bullet weight with a small worm hook of choice.

I will honestly switch back and forth between the both of them all day - every day.

Best stream smallie bait out there....better than HabitatMD's "SECRET". :D

19. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Heres my #1 and #2 :cheers:, and I've wasted a lot of time and money on others:

ZOOM Bait Company makes a ribbed plastic worm called "Super Salt Plus" 4" DEAD RINGER CHERRY SEED... that's my #1.

Yum makes a soft plastic "CRAW PAPI", that looks more like a crayfish than the real thing. That's my #2, and if they aren't hitting that, I pack it in because they aren't biting. They'll hit the crayfish even on a slow day! I found out about it while shopping at Bass Pro. A fellow who was buying them had just won a local fish'n tournament using the YUM CRAW PAPI.

I fish both lures on a black headed jig in 1/16 or 1/8 ounce, depending on the water conditions.

20. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    All of the big smallies I've caught have been on a crankbait. I've caught alot of smaller fish on different baits, but the big boys/girls always seem to hit a crankbait that is bouncing along the bottom of the Gasconade river. :cheers: