Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this species tops everything I have growing at my house. The beetles go ballistic for them.

They’re favored over cherry, apple, and hazelnuts that they also hit.

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Dang things love my blackberries too

Reactions: Skduckhunt

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,206 Posts
I count Sevin beetles .

Reactions: GPS

·
Former Leader in Warning points!
10,414 Posts
In my area, they seem to clean off the trees/bushes with purple leaves first. Aka, purple sand cherry and japanese maple

Reactions: WBF

·
Under appreciated
88,216 Posts
Is that polygonum?

·
King of Callaway
42,631 Posts
Good info

Man I forgot about them till this post

Between them and Japanese bird beetles I think Japan is moving to number two behind China of we got enough stuff from there

Reactions: letemgrow

·
Under appreciated
88,216 Posts

·
Registered
31,472 Posts
Buddy of mine uses them for panfish bait. Takes the trap full of beetles and a 5 gallon bucket with a frozen water jug in it. Sits on the bucket and drops the fish in it, goes home and cleans the cold fish.

Reactions: letemgrow

·
Registered
18,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Traps are worthless! All they do is attract more beetles to the area!
I'm going with a multisystem approach to controlling the beetles. Milky spore has been applied to the sod, nematodes are next to be added, I collect the beetles with a bait net on their ice cream plants, and then also use the traps.

·
Full Fledged Member
4,846 Posts
I've been using imidacloprid as a root soak to save an ash tree in my front yard (emerald ash borer protection) what's left goes around any jap beetle loving trees and shrubs in the yard. Haven't seen a beetle in a few years.

·
Under appreciated
88,216 Posts
I've been using imidacloprid as a root soak to save an ash tree in my front yard (emerald ash borer protection) what's left goes around any jap beetle loving trees and shrubs in the yard. Haven't seen a beetle in a few years.
DEVIL

Reactions: jehrbo
1 - 20 of 24 Posts