Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas all!!!!!

I thought I'd see what everyone's favorite Christmas memory is. I know some would be family, friends, or something you do every Christmas.

One of my favorite memories is attending the church where my granparents live. It's a cathedral style Catholic church built in the later 1800's.

It has a pipe organ and choir loft and every year at Midnight Mass they would play "Joy to the World" on the pipe organ (and sometimes with trumpets) with the choir leading the song.

Every time I hear that or think of that I get the tingles from how awesome the feeling was.

:2thumbsup:

G

·
so far today,,,,to receive my grandpas favorite bird hunting guns that my family has been wondering about since he passed 12 yrs ago,,,,THAT MEANT THE WORLD TO ME!!!!!!

·
Registered
69,560 Posts
Here is only one of many I have. Of course it was a gift that I really wanted. I was 12 years old and was wanting a transistor radio for Christmas. My folks didn't have much money back in 1960 so us boys could only have one thing on our Christmas list. We always got three pairs of underware and socks from Mom and Dad but Santa brought the main gift. If your gift wasn't under the tree on Christmas morning Santa would write you a letter explaining as to why your request wasn't granted.

On Christmas morning my two brothers and I awoke to breakfast smells coming from the kitchen. We all ran to the front room and looked under the cedar tree at the gifts that Santa had brought. But as tradition we had to look in our stockings first. We used real socks back then. We had talked Dad into giving up three of his knee high socks for the occasion. There never were anything spectacular in the stockings. Just a bunch of nuts, apples, oranges and that rock hard ribbon candy that Dolly Parton sings about. My two younger brothers dove into the packages and handed them out to the respectful owners. My brothers started ripping into the packages and tossing things behind them and reaching for the next one. I always took my time and savored every second because I knew it would soon be over. I opened the clothing articles first that I knew by feel. I wanted that last one to have a grand finale of sorts.

There it was...in a small 8 by 6 inch box.....my 6 transistor radio from JC Penney. It had an imitation leather case and a smaller case on the carrying strap that held the single ear plug. I was in soon to be Teenager Heaven right then. It took a 9v battery that Santa had wrapped separately. I walked around the house all day in my PJ's with my radio dangling from my wrist and the ear piece stuck in my ear. Back then I listened to Jonny Dollans on 71 derful WHB out of KC. Later at night while I was to be asleep I had the radio under my pillow with the earpiece in the ear facing the pillow. I could tune in WLS out of Chicago for the latest Rock and Roll tunes. These were all AM stations back then. Man....that brings back some good memories of some good tunes.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Mine is being at my Grandparents house every Christmas eve with all the aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. My gosh there would be 30 or 40 of us (they had 5 daughters). A huge home cooked meal & gift exchange.I would always spend the night & hang a stocking & next morning have a collection of fruit & nuts in my stocking ,then me & my Grandad (Pap) would run our traps on a 1950's model Ford tractor, those were good times, but it is all gone now,Mam, Pap, my parents, & all my uncles have passed on, the house & farm are sold, but I still have the memories.My first deer, ****, red & grey fox, bobcat,squirrel, rabbit,& bass all came on that 300 acres.

·
17,685 Posts
One or two of my favorite Christmas memories was before my best friend died
2 1/2 years ago. Him and I would always go Christmas shopping every weekend in December, yeah it was a party and a real wild time, but in the end come Christmas we had both given our families a very nice Christmas. I will always cheerish those times that Jeff and I spent together. During 2 of these years I was going through a very ugly diviroice, first tine being a dad scared to death had temp. custody of my son, and no matter how tough times were with me during the diviroice I always looked forward to those shopping trips. Simply because Jeff and I could talk and I'd listen about parenting and what kids need. So Jeff I know you there somewhere bud I want to say thank you and Merry Christmas. This was done in rememberence of Jeff Vandelict of Fulton Mo.

#2 When I was young and growing up my family didn't have very much money either, so one year my dad hand built a beautiful walnut desk for me, I was 7 years old at that time and I still have it. And later when I turned 15 years old my dad hand built me a solid oak gun cabient holds 12 guns with a side ammo compartment and 2 bottom drawers for your hunting clothes. I still have that as well. to me there are so many memories that I could personally write about, all the times with the family and my son's first Christmas, or my first Christmas with my daughter, or my first Christmas with my wife (Jennifer), but to me everyday is a memory that I cheerish. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
This year has been very special.

Dad and I were able to talk the CFO into buying a farm.

Looks like the farm is a winner for deer, we didn't harvest much but the sign is there.

Gotta train them deers.

I asked Dad to read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' to the kids tonight.

He did even though his reading skills are not the best...I hope my kids will remember this...I want this to be our newest tradition.

As I get older I seem to worry about making memories for the kids instead of making them for me.

I was told that every present I opened as a child I proclaimed that, whatever the present was, it was what I had always wanted.

My kids did not disappoint tonight. They showed enjoyment with each tear of the paper and the realization of the toy that they had just received. I am a happy Dad right now and the rest is just icing on the cake for me. We still have two more sides of the inlaws to see and there is a bit of a black cloud over one side...broken hip and stroke of a 90 year old matriarch.

Thank you for your memories,

I am just a lucky guy this year and I hope that you can enjoy some luck in the near future!

·
Registered
69,560 Posts
Kicking this back from the cobwebs. Might get some reflective moments from new postings.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Another one of mine would be the Christmas eve morning that my Grandpa & I caught our first bobcat
[file]87654[/file]

My Pap, the man that started it all way back when.
[file]87655[/file]

These pics are 25 or 30 years old !!!!

·
Grrrrrrr
29,888 Posts
My little brother (he's 11 years younger than me) was born on 12-20 and the first time I saw him was on Christmas eve. I'll never forget the feeling of finally having a brother in a housefull of sisters!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts