Father/Son trip of a lifetime..... Talk Turkey with me!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Alaskageek, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Alaskageek

Alaskageek New Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Sounds like the most consistant "hint" i'm getting all over this forum is..... once you got him coming.... shut the F$%K up. LOL. I'm pretty confident with being able to put the call down once I've got one heading my way. Learned that patience calling moose in AK.... once you got one grunting back and moving your way, stay quiet!

2. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    There are pretty much no absolutes in turkey hunting. What gets a bird to work one day may not have any affect the next day.
    Have fun, roll with it and learn on the fly. I had zero teaching or guidance when I started. Once you get some experience @Hooks saying will make sense... "I only deal with dead or scared turks".

Alaskageek likes this.

3. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    Good stuff Sully.. One other thing is if you've become accustomed turkeys in CO, they are STUPID compared to in MO. When I was elk hunting public land last fall I could have shot a couple gobblers just stalking around. Their eyesight is insane here and they are skittish.

4. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    I'll second Huntnful on the owl call. With a little practice you can call like an owl better than any call you can buy. Practice the Barred Owl and Great Horned Owl calls. Those birds are mostly nocturnal so you really only want to use that call at dawn most of the time, although you will hear owls occasionally during the day especially with heavy cloud cover. A crow call with my voice is hard on my throat so I use an actual call for that. I had a sweet little Olt that had great sound and volume but I lost it a few years ago. Need to find another. You usually want a bit of volume with a crow call, they're loud birds.

Pro tip: Don't blow the crow call near Sully's ear — you'll lose your hunting privileges....

Alaskageek likes this.
  5. Alaskageek

Alaskageek New Member

Jan 25, 2018
    BackyardBandit..... would love to be able to do some hunting over here in CO..... but have been very very very frustrated the couple of times I've tried to get out. The few times I have been out waterfowl or upland hunting it's been very disappointing..... very crowded and no much in the way of game. I would be very very interested in picking our brain on public land to hunt here in CO. I've got a line on two GMU up near steamboat, that are supposed to have good deer hunting, and usually have over the counter tags you can buy after August 1st. 3 and 301. I really can't get a handle on all the "draws' and preference points and crap over here. And I thought king salmon regs for fishing the Kenai River in July were bad. Haven't even looked at Turkeys here in CO but would be interested to know more.

6. Alaskageek

Alaskageek New Member

Jan 25, 2018
    I'll for sure keep that Pro tip in mind...... don't want to piss off my angel of mercy!!! I'll have to take a listen to the owl calls better and see if I can even come close to duplicating them with my mouth.

421sd likes this.
  7. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

I wouldn't be in any great hurry to have the recoil affect. Although he is 13, if you could simulate a bb gun or pellet rifle with the same sights and Sully's 20 gauge that would suffice IMO.

8. fullfan

fullfan Active Member

Feb 23, 2016
    get a harrison hootn stick owl call. I have watched a lot of turkeys die because of it. Also, look up "Dave Owens Turkey" on Youtube. Absolutely the most real videos you will be able to find

Alaskageek likes this.
  9. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

I am quite sure Sully will have some birds figured out, less is more when calling. Trust the landowner and when you think you need to move ......go ahead and give it another 15-20 minutes.

Check out the gobbler loungers, incase you end up moving a bunch, very comfortable!

Alaskageek and Wings Fan 19 like this.
  10. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    It is awesome you are wanting to learn, just don't stress over it. It is my guess Sully will have what where when and how of the hunt figured out by the time you arrive( as much as you can figure out turkeys anyway). Just soak in everything he shares with you and most importantly enjoy the time with your boy.

Alaskageek likes this.