Father/Son trip of a lifetime..... Talk Turkey with me!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Alaskageek, Jan 25, 2018.

1. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

After Sully shows you the ropes you will be ready to run across the border into the nw part of Kansas and shoot turkeys in the future. Not the very nw corner though. Trees on public ground are a bit far apart. :D

Alaskageek and Sully like this.
  2. huntnfool

huntnfool Active Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Central Mo
    Send him a pm. My slate I got from him is my favorite call. Easy to use and sounds awesome.

Sully likes this.

3. Alaskageek

Alaskageek Member

Jan 25, 2018
    It would truly be an honor to have you help make what is almost sure to be an experience my son and myself will keep forever! The joy you show for not only hunting, but teaching others to hunt tells me you and my father would've gotten along great. He always enjoyed catching fish and hunting game, but was happier watching me do it, even into my adult years. Now you are giving me the opportunity to do the same with my son, and keep the tradition alive!

How would you like to proceed? Forum? email? text? I think i might even be able to remember how to make a phone call, but it has been awhile. LOL :)

The plan right now is to be arriving to my dads place near Hermitage (my step mom still lives there) sometime before noon on Saturday April 21 and staying until the evening of Sat 28th, when we've got to get back on the road to CO.

4. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    You have won the turkey jackpot hunt for you and your boy you guys are gonna be blown away by all the gobbles I'm sure! Just from the pics sully post of the food plots and hunts he has been on my goodness I wish I was from alaska #jealous

Alaskageek likes this.
  5. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Alaskageek you can PM me to hash out details ...I have 700 acres to hunt all you need is a place to stay , also have an 7 acre lake here behind the house full of fish but that time of year the crappie on Truman are usually crawling out of the lake into your bucket !

fullfan and Alaskageek like this.
  6. Alaskageek

Alaskageek Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Thanks Hawk. Sully and I are PM'ing and it sounds like he's going to be the genie that makes my wish come true!!! Sounds like you two know each other IRL, maybe we all can get together.

7. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

Man, makes me want to create an alias and see if I can get hooked up with a Sully hunt! Good luck to all involved.

Wings Fan 19, tcwild, Meller and 4 others like this.
  8. Alaskageek

Alaskageek Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Don't really want to make you all jealous, but I'll be sure to post some pics/vid from the hunt!!! Haven't been this excited in years!!!!!

EZRA likes this.
  9. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Ive never met him, but Id meet you guys for some beam and cokes, provided the wife and new baby are cooperating

Alaskageek, 20' and Sully like this.
  10. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Make it Diet coke and ya got a deal ! ( the Bean is a given ! )

11. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I would take Sully up on this offer!!!!!

12. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Ya but nobody likes to have trouble makers around :wave1:

fishshooter likes this.
  13. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    With 10# bass!

14. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    I ate all the 10 pounders ... nothing but dinks left !

15. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    The title of your thread ended up being spitvon!

16. Alaskageek

Alaskageek Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Beam and coke sounds great to me!! Congrats on the new baby!! Happy and healthy with a great set of lungs? You near Warsaw? Sounds like Sully is in, as long as we get some diet coke as well!! Will have to go sans beam for the boy though. Not quite ready to corrupt him that much yet. LOL

Hawk likes this.
  17. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    Dont worry if you cant get that mouth call workin. IMO they are way overrated anyway. I haven't even had one in my mouth in years and I kill plenty of birds. Having said that.....the more calls you can make talk the better your chances will be. Its amazing how something as little as changing strikers on a slate call can make a gobbler change his mood. Also locator calls are one of your best friends. And contrary to what some say......owl hooting even after daylight will and does work.

I'd also say to learn the lay of the land as much as possible. I know your time is limited but having a gobbler working wont do much good if he wont cross a fence, creek, etc. Take those obstacles out of the equation whenever possible. And most importantly....patience is a virtue and often rewarded in the turkey woods. Lots and lots of gobblers die after 9 in the morning.

And yes.....you most assuredly want to learn what a morel looks like.

18. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    X2 on this, you go with Sully and you will learn in a weekend what might take 5 years on your own.

Dang fine offer Sully :brownnose:

Alaskageek, DCSarchette and 20' like this.
  19. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Make sure your hunter certification is in order. I’m guessing you probably already have such from the states you hunted already but it would be a good idea to make sure our state accepts your state’s certifications. If there’s time you can do it with your son and get him certified too. It has been years since I got mine but I think you can do it online now. Best of luck to you and your son - I don’t know Sully personally, but I’m confident you’re golden with him helping you on this adventure .

WBF likes this.
  20. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    You all have an option of utilizing the apprentice tag

WBF likes this.