Farm pond crappie....

Discussion in 'Pan Fish' started by FiremanBrad, Apr 19, 2006.

1. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Here's a couple of pics of some crappie we caught late last week, in a farm pond...all on jigs...fillets were most excellent too!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO

3. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

great catch, better eatin

4. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    Good mess of fish!

I notice you guys were separating out the egg sacks. Do you eat em? I grew up eating fried fish eggs from crappie, yellow perch, and bullheads. There were a real treat when I was kid. Don't know anyone who eats em now.

5. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I eat the eggs from the Walleyes I catch in the spring, never had Crappie eggs, but then again I don't fish for crappie.

6. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    MT....we always kept the eggs from the yellow perch and bluegill we cleaned while growing up in Michigan.

When my parents came to MO a few years back for some crappie fishing....she just about tanned my hide when I started cleaning the crappie and wasn't going to keep the eggs.

We ended up with a quart bag full of them that went home with them.. :D

7. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

No, we didn't keep em...they just come off with the fillets using the electric knife...I guess you cornmeal em and fry them? Prolly way too high in cholestrol and fat for my new diet...I'll save em for ya next time!!!

8. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Sure wish I had a place to catch crappie like that! A farm pond would be the best!!! Since I don't have a boat.
    Congrats on a nice mess of crappie!!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

9. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    Yep. Dust em with flour and little cornmeal and fry until just brown and firm. Very tasty.

We used to eat bluegill tails too. Toss them in the pan when everything else is done and let em get crispy. If you fry with a little bacon fat they taste like bacon. :cheers: