Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a couple of pics of some crappie we caught late last week, in a farm pond...all on jigs...fillets were most excellent too!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Good mess of fish!

I notice you guys were separating out the egg sacks. Do you eat em? I grew up eating fried fish eggs from crappie, yellow perch, and bullheads. There were a real treat when I was kid. Don't know anyone who eats em now.

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
I eat the eggs from the Walleyes I catch in the spring, never had Crappie eggs, but then again I don't fish for crappie.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
MT....we always kept the eggs from the yellow perch and bluegill we cleaned while growing up in Michigan.

When my parents came to MO a few years back for some crappie fishing....she just about tanned my hide when I started cleaning the crappie and wasn't going to keep the eggs.

We ended up with a quart bag full of them that went home with them.. :D

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Mark Twain
Good mess of fish!

I notice you guys were separating out the egg sacks. Do you eat em? I grew up eating fried fish eggs from crappie, yellow perch, and bullheads. There were a real treat when I was kid. Don't know anyone who eats em now.
No, we didn't keep em...they just come off with the fillets using the electric knife...I guess you cornmeal em and fry them? Prolly way too high in cholestrol and fat for my new diet...I'll save em for ya next time!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Originally posted by fireman_3311
Originally posted by Mark Twain
Good mess of fish!

No, we didn't keep em...they just come off with the fillets using the electric knife...I guess you cornmeal em and fry them? Prolly way too high in cholestrol and fat for my new diet...I'll save em for ya next time!!!
Yep. Dust em with flour and little cornmeal and fry until just brown and firm. Very tasty.

We used to eat bluegill tails too. Toss them in the pan when everything else is done and let em get crispy. If you fry with a little bacon fat they taste like bacon. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.