Farm Insurance?

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by KChunter, Feb 23, 2018.

  1. KChunter

    KChunter Senior Member

    Been putting off buying insurance for the recreational/farm ground I bought last year. Curious as to what others are paying for liability only policies and from what insurer. There are no structures or equipment to insure. The carrier of my home and auto coverage does not offer farm insurance.
  2. DPx2

    DPx2 Psalm 31:6

    Jul 5, 2009
    Might try American Hunting Lease for just liability needs for all "hunting" related activities. I've done that before and it's reasonable cost.

  3. wingman

    wingman Well-Known Member

    May 30, 2012
    Can they put a rider on your home owners since they don’t have a separate farm policy?
  4. reitzs

    reitzs Well-Known Member

    Jan 13, 2008
    My homeowners policy liability extends to my unimproved land. If I ever add utilities or structures, that changes.
    Skduckhunt likes this.
  5. River rat86

    River rat86 Active Member

    Oct 26, 2012
    St.charles mo.
    This until I built a cabin!
  6. buckstop660

    buckstop660 Crossbow Specialist

    Jul 17, 2014
    NW Mo.
    What about a personal umbrella policy
  7. KChunter

    KChunter Senior Member

    I asked about this but didn't really get a solid answer. I don't have a local agent with Safeco, which is a problem. I will follow up with them but also want to explore a stand alone policy.
  8. CuivreDog2

    CuivreDog2 Addicted Habitat Junkie

    Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
  9. KRAZO

    KRAZO Active Member

    Jul 28, 2017
    Southwest MO
    Who is your coverage thru?
  10. I just went with the personal umbrella, at least that’s what my rep at StateFarm suggested
  11. 90acres

    90acres The good ole days

    Mar 4, 2003
    I have that thru AmFam
  12. reitzs

    reitzs Well-Known Member

    Jan 13, 2008
    American Family. But I also know two of the other majors have the same policy...can’t remeber which two. I just know I asked last time I quoted two other companies.
  13. Rainman

    Rainman It Is What It Is

    Nov 14, 2013
    Just spoke to my State Farm agent last week discussing this same thing. Was told the same as stated above by reitzs. Last month, as a Christmas present from my wife, we had a portable building (28'x12') delivered to the property. My policy extends to this structure until I add utilities at which time I will need a separate policy.
  14. 90acres

    90acres The good ole days

    Mar 4, 2003
    American Family covered mine under homeowners until i put a building
    on it
  15. swat1018

    swat1018 Active Member

    Jan 1, 2013
    I have liability on my rec property as a rider on my primary residence homeowners policy. My agent also included coverage form my equipment at the farm in the barn. I have a house and utilities on the rec property, that I didn't care to insure, he didn't seem to have a problem. Auto Owners has my insurance.
  16. letemgrow

    letemgrow Well-Known Member

    What size personal umbrella is everyone carrying? I have a farm/ranch policy and personal umbrella with American Family.
  17. UrbanHunter

    UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

    LEG, the standard is 1MM. You can get additional increments for a coupla hundred each.
  18. $1M, just don’t get hurt when I have you over to run saws :)
    letemgrow likes this.
  19. swat1018

    swat1018 Active Member

    Jan 1, 2013
    Mine is $1M, for $165/yr.
  20. Wibb

    Wibb Senior Member

    Nov 20, 2007
    I have a second house on my place so I have a second policy. With that said, my umbrella ($1M) also covers anything exceeding my coverage limits on my dedicated policy. I have Safeco.